MD & DO 3.66 cGPA 3.66 sGPA 31 MCAT. Help with school list please!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keevwu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asian, CA resident

cGPA: 3.66
sGPA: 3.66
MCAT: 31
from USC

Extracurriculars:

Medical Assistant ~90 hours
Volunteer + Shadowing at a clinic ~ 300 hours
Internship + Shadowing at plastic surgery clinic ~216 hours
Undergraduate Researcher + Pending publication (+ fellowship recipient) ~510 hours
Volunteering at hospital (beginning June, ~4 hours a week until matriculation)
Tutoring (Chemistry + Physics) ~ 60 hours

Will be working as a lab technician for a year at my research lab during my gap year.

National Champion in Taekwondo + Member of USA National Team (2010-2011) too many hours to count

Here is my current MD list:

Out of State:
Albany
Temple
Drexel
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton University
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Hofstra North Shore
Jefferson Medical College
Stritch
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York Medical College
Rush Medical College
Saint Louis University
USF Health Morsani SOM
Wake Forest
Commonwealth
Oakland U
Penn State
Virginia Commonwealth SOM
Quinnipiac
Cooper
Albert Einstein
Western Michigan University
U of Illinois
U of Vermont

In State:
Keck
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCSD
UCR

DO List:

WesternU Pomona
Touro SF
Touro Nevada
Touro New York

I would really appreciate you guys' help on what to add/take out of my school list. Thanks!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If this is your first application and only MCAT, I count 15 MD schools where you have at least a fair chance at an interview. With your DO choices I am confident that you will have an acceptance by this time next year.

Thanks for the input. Should I bother applying to the schools I listed with in-state preferences? My stats are consistent with their medians, and they accept SOME OOS kids, but I'm not sure if I need a higher GPA/MCAT to be considered at all as an OOS applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input. Should I bother applying to the schools I listed with in-state preferences? My stats are consistent with their medians, and they accept SOME OOS kids, but I'm not sure if I need a higher GPA/MCAT to be considered at all as an OOS applicant.
All OOS publics have a bias . Your choices are mostly privates, though and if you are going to give MD a shot, you pretty much have to include them.

Last edited by a moderator:
goro suggests

Albany
Temple
Drexel
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton University
Eastern Virginia
Florida Atlantic University
George Washington
Hofstra North Shore
Loyola U
New York Medical College
Rush Medical College
Tufts
Loma Linda (maybe)
Saint Louis University
Tulane
Wake Forest
All new MD programs

DO List:

WesternU Pomona
WesternU Oregon
Touro SF
Touro Nevada
Touro New York
Philadelphia COM
Any other DO program; your numbers are fine for them (including mine)

Heed my learned colleague gyngyn. State schools favor the home team because the taxpayers are supplementing tuition. They doubt if someone from FL or CA would want to stay and practice in places like IN or IL.

goro suggests

Albany
Temple
Drexel
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton University
Eastern Virginia
Florida Atlantic University
George Washington
Hofstra North Shore
Loyola U
New York Medical College
Rush Medical College
Tufts
Loma Linda (maybe)
Saint Louis University
Tulane
Wake Forest
All new MD programs

DO List:

WesternU Pomona
WesternU Oregon
Touro SF
Touro Nevada
Touro New York
Philadelphia COM
Any other DO program; your numbers are fine for them (including mine)

Heed my learned colleague gyngyn. State schools favor the home team because the taxpayers are supplementing tuition. They doubt if someone from FL or CA would want to stay and practice in places like IN or IL.

Thanks goro. Loma Linda has an emphasis on Christianity in their mission statement. I'm not Christian. So I'm assuming I should just cross it off the list?

Thanks goro. Loma Linda has an emphasis on Christianity in their mission statement. I'm not Christian. So I'm assuming I should just cross it off the list?
OUR MISSION

Loma Linda University, a Seventh-day Adventist Christian health sciences institution, seeks to further the healing and teaching ministry of Jesus Christ "to make man whole" by:

Educating ethical and proficient Christian health professionals and scholars through instruction, example, and the pursuit of truth;

(from their mission statement).

Just added a few schools (now a total of 42 MD schools). Do you guys have advice on which schools to cut out? I'm trying to get to around 30 schools

Just added a few schools (now a total of 42 MD schools). Do you guys have advice on which schools to cut out? I'm trying to get to around 30 schools

I say cut out U of Illinois... their OOS tuition alone is higher than the entire cost of attendance at many of the other schools on your list!!

I say cut out U of Illinois... their OOS tuition alone is higher than the entire cost of attendance at many of the other schools on your list!!

Yeah I know, my brother went there because it was the only MD school he got into. But I am in right at their medians, so I think I will still apply.

Yeah I know, my brother went there because it was the only MD school he got into. But I am in right at their medians, so I think I will still apply.

Fair enough! Any school that you'd be happy to go to if it were the only school that you got into is a school worth applying to

Fair enough! Any school that you'd be happy to go to if it were the only school that you got into is a school worth applying to

haha if I have another option thats cheaper then I will definitely take that option. but with my stats + being a CA resident, I don't think I have the luxury of cutting out expensive options

I see a few Florida schools, and unless you are from there, I don't believe they accept many OOS but I am not totally sure as I didn't apply to them - check the MSAR to be sure. Same with some of the other state universities you listed, I don't know which are/aren't OOS friendly off the top of my head, but you should double check. Also you may want to remove UCR unless you are from the Inland Empire, and check with UCI - you may be screened or quickly rejected as I believe their stats are a decent amount higher than yours.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see a few Florida schools, and unless you are from there, I don't believe they accept many OOS but I am not totally sure as I didn't apply to them - check the MSAR to be sure. Same with some of the other state universities you listed, I don't know which are/aren't OOS friendly off the top of my head, but you should double check. Also you may want to remove UCR unless you are from the Inland Empire, and check with UCI - you may be screened or quickly rejected as I believe their stats are a decent amount higher than yours.

I checked the MSAR on all of them and they do accept a good number of OOS applicants. U of Miami and USF take a good amount of OOS, but Florida Atlantic only matriculated ~10 so I'll take them out. I'll take UCR out too. Thanks!

Asian, CA resident

cGPA: 3.66
sGPA: 3.66
MCAT: 31
from USC

Extracurriculars:

Medical Assistant ~90 hours
Volunteer + Shadowing at a clinic ~ 300 hours
Internship + Shadowing at plastic surgery clinic ~216 hours
Undergraduate Researcher + Pending publication (+ fellowship recipient) ~510 hours
Volunteering at hospital (beginning June, ~4 hours a week until matriculation)
Tutoring (Chemistry + Physics) ~ 60 hours

Will be working as a lab technician for a year at my research lab during my gap year.

National Champion in Taekwondo + Member of USA National Team (2010-2011) too many hours to count

Here is my current MD list:

Albany
Temple
Drexel
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton University
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Hofstra North Shore
Indiana University
Keck USC
Loyola U
New York Medical College
Rush Medical College
Saint Louis University
Warren Alpert Medical
U of Toledo
Tulane
USF Health Morsani SOM
U of Arizona
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCSD
U of Illinois
U of Miami
Wake Forest

Tufts
U of Miami
Commonwealth
Oakland U
Penn State
Virginia Commonwealth SOM
Georgetown
Virginia Tech Carilion
Quinnipiac
U of Vermont
Cooper
Albert Einstein
West Virginia
Western Michigan University

DO List:

WesternU Pomona
Touro SF
Touro Nevada
Touro New York

I would really appreciate you guys' help on what to add/take out of my school list. Thanks!!!!!

West Virginia usually only accepts applicants who are state residents or who have very strong ties to the state (lived in WV or went to undergrad at WVU).

West Virginia usually only accepts applicants who are state residents or who have very strong ties to the state (lived in WV or went to undergrad at WVU).

you're right, thanks! what do you guys think of indiana u?

Definitely keep USF. In total they take about 30 core and 25 SELECT students. And the $30 secondary fee is nice on the wallet.
I checked the MSAR on all of them and they do accept a good number of OOS applicants. U of Miami and USF take a good amount of OOS, but Florida Atlantic only matriculated ~10 so I'll take them out. I'll take UCR out too. Thanks!

Definitely keep USF. In total they take about 30 core and 25 SELECT students. And the $30 secondary fee is nice on the wallet.

congrats on USF!

Reactions: 1 user
Also got rid of Virginia Tech b/c they're 10-90th percentile verbal scores cut off at 10 and I only scored a 9

Do you guys think I will be okay if I only applied to 4 DO schools? Touro Nevada, Touro NY, Touro SF, and WesternU?

yes. If you want to cut back on MD: GW, Brown, Miller, USC, Tulane.

Heya Gyngyn,

Could you briefly go over why to cut those schools specifically?

GW I understand is a "popular school" with low yield.
What about Miami, USC, Tulane?

Also Brown accepts most of their students from high school right? The MSAR doesn't really make that clear =/

Thanks for your time!

I believe Miami is tough for OOSers, USC is the most expensive in the country for non-residents, and Tulane strongly emphasizes MCAT.
But I don't want to put words in an AdCom's mouth!

I believe Miami is tough for OOSers, USC is the most expensive in the country for non-residents, and Tulane strongly emphasizes MCAT.
But I don't want to put words in an AdCom's mouth!

USC is actually private, so tuition is the same for residents and non-residents. I really just wanted to apply because I live so close to USC that I could commute + I am a graduate from USC

Heya Gyngyn,

Also Brown accepts most of their students from high school right? The MSAR doesn't really make that clear =/

Thanks for your time!

Yes I'm not quite sure about GW. My brother applied there and got waitlisted as an OOS with stats lower than mine (granted, it was 8 years ago), and they seem very good with OOS based on the MSAR + they are a private school

USC is actually private, so tuition is the same for residents and non-residents. I really just wanted to apply because I live so close to USC that I could commute + I am a graduate from USC

If we are talking about the University of South Carolina, it is 36k for residents, 80k for non-residents, per the MSAR

Keck, on the other hand, is the private one.

Yes I'm not quite sure about GW. My brother applied there and got waitlisted as an OOS with stats lower than mine (granted, it was 8 years ago), and they seem very good with OOS based on the MSAR + they are a private school
The thing with GW is that they get 10,000+ applicants...which is a LOT!

If we are talking about the University of South Carolina, it is 36k for residents, 80k for non-residents, per the MSAR

Keck, on the other hand, is the private one.

Oh, yeah I meant Keck.

For in-state, I'm deciding to keep all those schools, even though most of them are stretches (and I have some ties with Riverside, albeit not extremely strong ties).

Does anyone have any suggestions for out of state schools I should get rid of that are too much of a stretch?

Heya Gyngyn,

Thanks for your time!

USC and Tulane for MCAT. Miami is not a terrible choice but all the students I've seen accepted from CA have been high stats.

Reactions: 1 user
Glad you put TouroNY on the list! I had somewhat similar stats to yours and currently have decided to attend Touro-NY. Other D.O. schools you may want to consider is NYIT-COM

Glad you put TouroNY on the list! I had somewhat similar stats to yours and currently have decided to attend Touro-NY. Other D.O. schools you may want to consider is NYIT-COM
I will add NYIT thanks!