3.66 cGPA, 3.73sGPA, 524 MCAT URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diamondgal1337

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't quote

Del thanks for feed back

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your GPA's are not on the lower end. They are competitive, and you will be highly desirable provided you prepare a very strong application.

1) Get shadowing especially in primary care areas AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, and don't apply until you get to around 100 hours.

2) Get networking with students, student services/diversity administrators, and admissions staff IMMEDIATELY and let them also provide any insight. This includes SNMA officers at the schools where you are most interested in attending.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure you need 100 hours of shadowing; 50 is OK and 100 is good. The rest of your application is strong enough that just checking the "shadowing" box will mean you're a competitive candidate for places like Harvard.

Get some more shadowing, another 40 hours in primary care at least, and you are not golden but platinum. Apply to HBCUs, your state schools, and top 20s.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA's are not on the lower end. They are competitive, and you will be highly desirable provided you prepare a very strong application.

1) Get shadowing especially in primary care areas AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, and don't apply until you get to around 100 hours.

2) Get networking with students, student services/diversity administrators, and admissions staff IMMEDIATELY and let them also provide any insight. This includes SNMA officers at the schools where you are most interested in attending.

Thanks for the feedback smile, I will definitely reach out to the individual universities.

Do you think that I have a chance at a T20 or should I shoot a bit lower?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback smile, I will definitely reach out to the individual universities.

Do you think that I have a chance at a T20 or should I shoot a bit lower?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
You have a a very strong application for any school, including T20s. Definitely include a range of schools on your list, but don’t sell yourself short.

As you are right now you have a decent chance at a top 20. Get 40 hours of shadowing, most of that in primary care, and you are a strong applicant for top schools; it is a crapshoot but you would then have an excellent chance of matriculating to a top school. Apply to 15-20 top 20s, HBCUs, and state schools. Good luck.

As you are right now you have a decent chance at a top 20. Get 40 hours of shadowing, most of that in primary care, and you are a strong applicant for top schools; it is a crapshoot but you would then have an excellent chance of matriculating to a top school. Apply to 15-20 top 20s, HBCUs, and state schools. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback, I am going to work on increasing the shadowing hours. Right now I shadow the PCP around 5-6 hours per week so I think I'll hit 100 hours by May.

Oh man, I had one question that I forgot about. How much does being from a public university hurt my chances at Top 20. I was searching yesterday for applicants with similar stats, and couldn't find any that weren't from a high-ranked ugrad.

Are there certain schools that I should avoid due to coming from a public uni?

Last edited:
Oh man, I had one question that I forgot about. How much does being from a public university hurt my chances at Top 20. I was searching yesterday for applicants with similar stats, and couldn't find any that weren't from a high-ranked ugrad.

Are there certain schools that I should avoid due to coming from a public uni?

Go to a state school. Sameish GPA as you, 520+ mcat as well. Got into a top 20 this cycle.

Reactions: 3 users
That you come from a state school and not Harvard or Stanford is a minor hindrance at worst. Do not worry about this. Your application just needs some shadowing and you are not golden but platinum. Harvard? Stanford? Yale? Competitive, even strong, at all of them.

That you come from a state school and not Harvard or Stanford is a minor hindrance at worst. Do not worry about this. Your application just needs some shadowing and you are not golden but platinum. Harvard? Stanford? Yale? Competitive, even strong, at all of them.

Thanks blackmath. I'm going to apply to all of the top 20, 5 top 40, state schools, and HBCUs to be safe.
Gonna give the application my all, let's see what happens.

Last edited: