3.67 cGPA/ 3.47 sGPA/ 518 MCAT/ TN. WAMC School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2DFrooty!

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I’ve had some difficulty crafting a med school list due to my sub-average GPA and higher MCAT score. I also have a lot of research experience that would probably be looked favorably by high-stat schools, but I just don’t think I would be competitive due my GPA. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

• State: TN
  • Ties to other States/Regions: N/A
  • URM? (Y/N): N
  • Year in School: Graduated undergrad in December of 2019
  • Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Double major in Biology and Neuroscience, Minor in Religious Studies
  • Cumulative GPA:3.65/4.0
    • Freshman = 3.89
    • Sophomore = 3.34
    • Junior = 3.39
    • Senior = 3.93
    • PB = 4.0 (this was just one class. A re-take of Orgo II from a D+ my sophomore year to an A spring of 2021)
  • Science GPA:3.47/4.0
    • Freshman = 3.83
    • Sophomore = 2.72
    • Junior = 3.05
    • Senior = 3.93
    • PB = 4.0 (this was just one class. A re-take of Orgo II from a D+ my sophomore year to an A spring of 2021)
  • MCAT Score(s):
    • 2018 = 508 (126/130/125/127)
    • 2020 = 518 (129/128/130/131)
  • Research Experience:
    • 5/2016 - 4/2018 (500 hours): Clinical research assistant at a fertility clinic investigating a new algorithm for the evaluation and treatment of multiple miscarriages.
    • 5/2017 – 4/2018 (740 hours): Clinical research assistant for a population health program at a teaching hospital. Assisted in conducting data analyses for a project that explored the relationship between long-acting reversible contraceptives and STD acquisition by looking at Medicaid claims of over 62,000 female adolescents.
    • 8/2017 – 4/2019 (300 hours): Basic science research assistant at my undergrad. Identified populations of neurons in the brain that produce signaling molecules involved in aggressive and sexual behaviors using lizard model systems.
    • 10/2020 – 8/2022 (1,320 hours past, 2,440 hours projected): Clinical and translational research assistant at a teaching hospital. Working on two studies:
      • NIH-sponsored project aimed at making telehealth more equitable for vulnerable and non-English speaking patients at the pediatric clinic.
      • Pediatric obesity research. I serve as a data collector and virtual health coach, meeting one-on-one with parent-child dyads to help build sustainable healthy behavior skills.
  • Publications/Abstracts/Posters (include how you were credited e.g. first author, second author, etc.): Two publications (one as first author and the other as mid-author). My current PI and I are working on submitting three papers this year for publication. I presented a poster at an international research conference. I currently have an abstract on social determinants of health submitted to a national conference this fall.
  • Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): 520 total hours volunteering at two hospitals and at a clinic that provides care to refugees and the uninsured.
  • Physician Shadowing: 245 hours in the US – various specialties, including primary care. 85 hours abroad – ED, OR, and primary care.
  • Non-Clinical Volunteering: 760 hours – 660 past, 100 projected with the American Red Cross Disaster Action and Latino engagement team
  • Other Extracurricular Activities:
    • President of my undergrad’s bio honor society for two years (165 hours)
    • Member of my undergrad’s Spanish medical club (180 hours). Aside from attending meetings, I volunteered as a clinic translator and provided Spanish speaking patients and their families with company
    • I listed “Gardening – Club Member and Volunteer” as a hobby on my app: I was a member of my undergrad’s environmental services club where we worked to expand urban gardens at local elementary schools (120 hours). I currently serve as a volunteer gardener for a botanic garden (250 hours).
  • Other Employment History:
    • Student employee promoted to employer relations coordinator of my undergrad’s Career Services (2,000 hours)
    • Humanities and Bio Tutor (95 hours)
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): N
  • Medical School List:
  1. Rush Medical College
  2. Chicago Med at Rosalind Franklin University
  3. Drexel
  4. Medical College of Wisconsin
  5. Wake Forest
  6. Georgetown
  7. Western Michigan University Homer Stryker
  8. Tufts
  9. Boston University
  10. East Tennessee State University James H. Quillen
  11. Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple
  12. University of Miami
  13. Warren Alpert at Brown University
  14. University of Massachusetts
  15. Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
  16. University of Cincinnati
  17. University of TN Health Science Center
  18. Virginia Commonwealth
  19. University of Pittsburgh
  20. University of Michigan
  21. USF Health Morsani
  22. Case Western
  23. Ohio State
  24. Duke

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good list and should receive several interviews.
Thank you so much for your feedback! I was nervous due to the significant difference in my GPA and MCAT and kept going back and forth on which schools to include or take out.