3.67 cGPA, 3.57 sGPA Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaidenXVC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 3.67 cGPA, and a 3.57 sGPA. I have yet to take the MCAT, but I hope to get a 33 (although I would be happy with as low as a 29). I currently have spent over 5 years doing volunteer work in the same community hospital near where I live. I have also spent the past year shadowing a family medicine physician. I currently have no research experience (although I hope to start this term), and I have just started to do volunteer work with Habitat for Humanity (right now I am sitting on 12 hours, my goal is 100 hours before I graduate next year).

I will be applying to around 12-15 MD programs, and 1-3 DO programs. I think that I am a pretty good applicant for a DO program, but I am a bit unsure about how I would stand up to an MD program. Thoughts, anything that needs improvement? Honestly I am just volunteering with Habitat to cross it off of my checklist, and I know that you really should do something you feel passionate about, but I can't think of anything other than that or work in a soup kitchen. Does anyone have any thoughts about other things that I could do?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With a good MCAT, chances are excellent!

Instead of going through the motions with Habitat, how about being a Big Brother/Sister? Volunteering at a hospice? Nursing home?

Hi, I have a 3.67 cGPA, and a 3.57 sGPA. I have yet to take the MCAT, but I hope to get a 33 (although I would be happy with as low as a 29). I currently have spent over 5 years doing volunteer work in the same community hospital near where I live. I have also spent the past year shadowing a family medicine physician. I currently have no research experience (although I hope to start this term), and I have just started to do volunteer work with Habitat for Humanity (right now I am sitting on 12 hours, my goal is 100 hours before I graduate next year). After graduation I want to take a year off to teach English in Japan or Korea. Other than that, I don't really have any other extracurricular activities that I could list.

I will be applying to around 12-15 MD programs (ideal), and 1-3 DO programs (plan B). I think that I am a pretty good applicant for a DO program, but I am a bit unsure about how I would stand up to an MD program. Thoughts, anything that needs improvement? Honestly I am just volunteering with Habitat to cross it off of my checklist, and I know that you really should do something you feel passionate about, but I can't think of anything other than that or work in a soup kitchen. Does anyone have any thoughts about other things that I could do?

Thanks

You will do just fine. Apply broadly and add in a few reach schools. Good luck on the MCAT.

I'm close to your GPA (3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA). Also targeting a 33 on the MCAT (will live with a 30-33). Granted, I'm likely a bit older... turning 30 soon!

Few pieces of advice:

- Work hard on the MCAT. That really will open and close doors for you. If you score a 30 you should be solid for a DO program and likely your state MD (unless you live in my state... CA).

- Apply broadly. I'd say plan to apply to at least 15-20 MD programs and 3-5 DO schools. It's better to add a few schools now than wish you had and start adding them at the end of the cycle when you don't hear back and then interview for wait list spots.

- Don't go through the motions with Habitat. There are a ton of organizations. There must be one you are actually excited about. City Year, Big Brother/Sister, Red Cross etc. Go read about organizations in your area and volunteer at the one that excites you (personally I enjoy teaching and if I could find the time, I'd go help tutor kids in the library in math and science).