3.68/35 Help With School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

areserine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted for app season, feel free to PM.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Full Disclosure- I posted a similar thread about 6 months ago with a heavy emphasis on NYC schools and other big cities. I've come to realize that I will not be happy living in a huge city, and prefer smaller cities with a car and access to nature. Therefore, my schools have changed significantly since then. I would greatly appreciate advice on this list.

I am a non-URM FL resident student who graduated from a top 10 liberal arts college in 2013. If someone were to actually look though, they would see that my parents retired there after I graduated hs, and that all my ties are basically in MA.

I am currently in the middle of my first of two gap years doing bench research at a highly regarded institution. I studied abroad twice.

Stats

3.68 cumulative, 3.65 science (3.2 Freshman year, 3.7, 3.76, 3.84 subsequent years)

35 MCAT (10, 13, 12)- May 2013

30 MCAT (9, 10, 11)- September 2012

LORs

1 letter from science professor and academic adviser- took two classes with him, one team based (very close to PBL) in which I was a good team member and leader, and another that he teaches “at the graduate school level” in which I was one of the top students in the class

1 letter from science professor from a study abroad program. This professor traveled with the program and knows me very well individually and as a top student academically on the program

1 letter from PI that will be very strong- will have been working here for at least 8 months by the time the letter is requested. I have already been added to a paper and work on my own projects regularly as well as assisting postdocs whenever possible.

1 letter from varsity coach from college. This letter will speak to my role as a hard worker and team player.

1 letter from each doctor that I shadowed/ did summer internship with. Both strong.

Research

I have two summers at different places (one clinical research and one bench research) and now work full time as a bench research tech at a top institution. The clinical research that I did for one of the summer internships continued remotely for another year and a half using data from a publically available source. I have two publications in the works, both likely to be submitted by the time I apply. I am not sure if I should list submitted pubs. I also have an abstract for which I am second author from an earlier internship. I also did a senior thesis (extensive literature review and hypothesis based on the current research, including a detailed outline for what and how I would do future studies.)

Non Clinical Extracurriculars

Varsity Athlete- 500+ hours have been participating in this sport for over 16 years. I continue to make fitness and health a major priority. I was a captain of my team in high school.

Resident Assistant- Two years. floor "leader"

Habitat for Humanity- I have spent over 200 hours working with H4H between participating in and leading week long spring break trips, and volunteering with local chapters in over 4 locations. I now currently work as a site leader, leading and coordinating groups of volunteers.

Teaching Health Classes at a homeless shelter- 40+ hours total by the end of the first year. Site leader at my shelter for next year.

“One-time” volunteering events- total of about 50 hours. Worked closely with the community service center at my school as a volunteer for individual events ranging from cooking classes aiming to bring communities together, to volunteering with food drives. Also took classes with service components with included modifying and teaching material to local school children in Spanish and English.

HS and summer after freshman year employment- shift leader for food service

Member of a student/ faculty committee that assessed campus environment and worked towards education and the rewriting of school health-related policies. Personally organized a campus wide educational event.- Don't think I can fit this into my amcas though.

tutoring- over 100 hrs so far, planned 550 by end of app cycle.

Hobbies:

Music- (string instrument and vocals) with assorted participation in orchestras and choirs.

Fitness- training for a triathlon and 10k swim.

Highly Proficient in Spanish- study abroad and homestay in a Spanish speaking country.

Clinical Extracurriculars
My first "internship" was unpaid in a clinical research setting (small specialized clinic within a major research hospital). I technically volunteered there full time for the summer 200+ hours. I had patient contact and family contact in terms of coordinating visits, and transporting patients and families throughout the hospital and interacted regularly with nurses and doctors in the clinic and in other parts of the hospital as needed. I transported a lot of patient samples and study drugs as well as taking vitals and calling patients and families.

Local hospital volunteer started just this month due to lack of positions in the area (on waitlists for 9 months).- 8 hours by app start, over 150 by app end.

Shadowing
50+ Hours with multiple neurologists

50+ hours with multiple pediatric oncologists

Tentative List:

Safety?
Florida International
Rush
Virginia Tech
U South Florida
Tulane

Match?
U Vermont
U of MN
Miami Miller
U Central Florida
Loyola
Wake Forest
Brown
U Florida
Tufts
Dartmouth
U South California
Boston U
Emory

Reach?
Case Western
Northwestern
UVA
Vanderbilt
Hopkins
Uchicago
Mayo
Harvard?

I know this is too many schools, but my problem is that I'm having a hard time gauging my actual chances at each of these school since my MCAT is solid but my GPA is weak for upper-tiers.

Thoughts?
Your multitude of very-substantial ECs may well help you rise above more-selective schools' GPA expectations than one could predict. I won't tell you to take any of those schools off your list, though Harvard and UChicago seem unlikely. You'll never know if you don't try. Nice job!

Thanks! My question though is does that mean that I can take off some safeties and matches, or would that be too much of a gamble. I feel like I'm in such an unsure position where I may be hoping to get off a waitlist at a safety, or I might end up with lots of love from top schools and I'm therefore stuck with this list of 30 schools which is too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
With disparate stats, to be more sure of success in a single cycle, it is advisable to apply to schools in line with one's MCAT, schools in line with one's GPA, and also schools appropriate according to the Lizzy M score, which factors in both parameters. If you are going to trim, you might look at other factors, like grading system (P/F vs graded), curriculum type (traditional subject-based, systems-based, block, PBL), clinical sites, weather, distance from family, safety of area, cost of living in the area, proximity of jobs for an S.O., etc. You will have to be the judge of whether your two summers of research were substantive enough to aim high for the research-oriented Big Names.

Also, to answer an earlier question, submitted manuscripts should not be listed under Publications. You can mention the submission in the same space as the related Research, but it isn't worth much in terms of strengthening your application. Accepted papers are great for update letters, though.

Thanks for your help! Does anyone else have any additional advice to add?