Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

3.68/35 Help With School List

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by areserine, 05.13.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. areserine

areserine 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Deleted for app season, feel free to PM.

Last edited: 10.28.14
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Catalystik

Catalystik Providing herd protection SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    Your multitude of very-substantial ECs may well help you rise above more-selective schools' GPA expectations than one could predict. I won't tell you to take any of those schools off your list, though Harvard and UChicago seem unlikely. You'll never know if you don't try. Nice job!

4. areserine

areserine 2+ Year Member

Thanks! My question though is does that mean that I can take off some safeties and matches, or would that be too much of a gamble. I feel like I'm in such an unsure position where I may be hoping to get off a waitlist at a safety, or I might end up with lots of love from top schools and I'm therefore stuck with this list of 30 schools which is too much.

5. Catalystik

Catalystik Providing herd protection SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    Faculty
    With disparate stats, to be more sure of success in a single cycle, it is advisable to apply to schools in line with one's MCAT, schools in line with one's GPA, and also schools appropriate according to the Lizzy M score, which factors in both parameters. If you are going to trim, you might look at other factors, like grading system (P/F vs graded), curriculum type (traditional subject-based, systems-based, block, PBL), clinical sites, weather, distance from family, safety of area, cost of living in the area, proximity of jobs for an S.O., etc. You will have to be the judge of whether your two summers of research were substantive enough to aim high for the research-oriented Big Names.

Also, to answer an earlier question, submitted manuscripts should not be listed under Publications. You can mention the submission in the same space as the related Research, but it isn't worth much in terms of strengthening your application. Accepted papers are great for update letters, though.

6. areserine

areserine 2+ Year Member

Thanks for your help! Does anyone else have any additional advice to add?

About the ads