MD 3.68 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA, 3.94 gGPA, 33 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FivePrimeOnc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these schools:
ALL your Ohio schools
All your category 6 schools
Your category 4 schools except FIU and Stony Brook(they strongly favor their own state residents)
Your category 3 schools except UVA (they also prefer VA residents)
You can forget about the category 1 and 2 schools as they are reaches.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! That sounds good, and I agree with the your assessment of Category 1 and 2. A few follow-up questions:
1) Are there any schools that have health policy-like missions? I suspect my application may resonate with these schools. (E.g. Columbia includes this in their mission statement)
2) Are there any schools that place any weight on graduate academic success?
3) What is the cutoff for being OOS friendly? I see UVA interviewed just over 9% of their OOS applicants.
I am not certain about 1 and 2 but OOS friendly is difficult to evaluate. UVA interviews 9% of their OOS applicants but most of those probably have a connection to the state or school (OOS applicant attending UVA), spouse from the state, a parent attended UVA, etc.).

You should apply to every school in your state(CWRU can be your big reach). Youll get interest from your state schools. OOS wise I would target a) schools most likely to interview you in case the state schools dont work out b) Reaches you would go to over your state schools and their juicy IS tuition if accepted.

Schools with an MCAT median in the 33-34 range that are OOS friendly are reasonable reach choices. Miami, Hofstra, Rochester, Tufts and Einstein fit the bill on your current list. In terms of schools most likely to interview you, SLU, VCU, Medical College of Wisconsin, and Jefferson are the best choices from your list. Others are going to be relatively low yield. Oakland Creighton and Western Michigan are also solid choices for this. Thatll be enough for you here.