Aug 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm currently reapplying to medical school. The previous admissions cycle I believe I made a few critical mistakes, here is my assessment of what I think I did wrong.

In the previous admissions cycle, due to taking the MCAT at the end of August, my primary application was not sent in until September 22nd, and my osteopathic primary until October 15th. Obviously, this is critically late, and yet despite this, I managed to receive one interview at an MD school and one at a DO school, but was waitlisted and eventually did not succeed in getting in. The other major mistake I made was lacking both research and shadowing experience in the clinic, while I had over 200 hours of hospital volunteering.

As for this cycle, I've sent in my primary application to allopathic schools by August 1st and will have the DO application in before August 31st (There was a processing delay due to transcript errors). To add to this, I've done over 250 hours of shadowing and through my graduate program will be performing roughly 1200 hours of biomedical research.

So far I'm optimistic, but I wanted to know what some of you at SDN may think since I can't seem to find any posts or resources regarding reapplicants from a post-bac program whose grades were above average and was not doing the program specifically for grade improvement. (I took this program at the University of Michigan for its degree granting feature and ability to spend a year doing mostly research).

Aug 12, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Why did you apply late again???

Soccer171983

living the dream
7+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2011
Las Vegas
Status
Attending Physician
the numbers and activities look decent. apply broadly if not restricted. you should def get some interviews..

About the Ads
OP
M
Aug 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I live in Michigan and am applying to 22 schools. They include schools in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois

And in terms of applying on August 1st, I didn't have much of a choice since my graduate program didn't have my schedule until the 27th of July. Am I really late again? I know I could have done it earlier, but I assumed the program knew what it was doing since it's listed on the Aamc as having very high success rates for applicants

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
Your best chances are your Michigan schools. I suggest adding schools outside of the Midwest including:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Creighton
St. Louis

About the Ads