3.69 cGPA, 3.43 sGPA, 509 MCAT, URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LovelybonesMI

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering what my chances were for this medical school application cycle. This is my first post, so I'm not very familiar with this site.

African American Female attending a usual public university (nothing special). Michigan Resident.

3.69 cGPA, 3.48 sGPA, 509 MCAT
Low GPA, I know, but I have taken higher level science courses such as physiology, biochemistry, genetics, and cellular biology and received A's. First year was not the best for me.

Extracurricular:
  • Worked two retail jobs for a summer
  • Worked as a student ambassador and tour guide in the office of admissions for 1.5 years
  • Worked as a medical scribe in the emergency department for 2 years (19-45 hrs/week)
  • Sexual health peer educator for one year
  • 3 alternative break volunteer trips (40 hrs each)
  • Volunteer site leader for an organization which volunteers in the local community (70 hrs)
  • Secretary position of the above volunteer site (1 year)
  • Office coordinator position of alternative breaks organization (1 year)
  • Vice President of a multicultural pre med organization (2 years)
  • Tutor (1 semester)
  • Member of another multicultural organization on campus which promotes diversity.
  • Hospice volunteer (1 year)
  • Member of a student health advisory council (1 year)

I unfortunately don't have any research :(

I have LOR from one science professor, one honors English professor, one doctor from my scribing job, one volunteer director, one previous employer from the ambassador job, one advisor, and one from my program director of the sexual health peer education program. This was the best I could get.

Possible Medical Schools
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine at Hofstra University
Indiana University School of Medicine
Michigan State University
Morehouse School of Medicine
Rush Medical College
The Ohio State Univ. Coll. of Med.
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Den
University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Greenville
Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine

I realize there are a lot of high reaches in this list...

I was wondering if this was a good list of schools and if there were any other schools I should consider as well. Also, I'm open to any advice or recommendations. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've seen, you can afford to reach even higher. The MCAT will take you far

Reactions: 1 user
From what I've seen, you can afford to reach even higher. The MCAT will take you far

Wow really? I don't really know how high to reach and still be somewhat reasonable with my stats. I would love to add a few higher reaches to my list. Any suggestions of schools?

Wow really? I don't really know how high to reach and still be somewhat reasonable with my stats. I would love to add a few higher reaches to my list. Any suggestions of schools?
Any OOS private you prefer to your IS schools.

Any OOS private you prefer to your IS schools.
Sorry for pestering you with all these questions today haha. In your experience what would be the MCAT score a URM should shoot for in order to be eligible for scholarship money with a 3.7cgpa and 3.8cGPA and solid EC's? I have heard opinions from other users but would like to hear the opinion of a seasoned adcom member. I am pretty worried about the cost of attending school and want to give myself the best chance to hopefully attend school without a staggering amount of debt. Thank you for your time!

Sorry for pestering you with all these questions today haha. In your experience what would be the MCAT score a URM should shoot for in order to be eligible for scholarship money with a 3.7cgpa and 3.8cGPA and solid EC's? I have heard opinions from other users but would like to hear the opinion of a seasoned adcom member. I am pretty worried about the cost of attending school and want to give myself the best chance to hopefully attend school without a staggering amount of debt. Thank you for your time!

Reactions: 1 users
Many thanks for the response!
My caveat is that this score, in addition to commitment to service, are where odds of recruitment funds go up.
For those who would purport to serve a Spanish-speaking community, this would include language skills.

Reactions: 1 user