3.69 cgpa 3.66 sgpa MCAT :505

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drabberbadge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
do I have a shot at any MD schools? LizzyM~65

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend these:

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Oakland U Beaumont

Loyola

Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)

WVU

MCW

Creighton

VCU

Albany

Your state school(s).

Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Do keep in mind that beggars can't be choosy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend these:

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Oakland U Beaumont

Loyola

Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)

WVU

MCW

Creighton

VCU

Albany

Your state school(s).

Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Do keep in mind that beggars can't be choosy.

Do I have a chance at UCLA if I'm from california?

In cali MCAT and GPA has got to be almost perfect.....like goro said beggers can't be choosey add some DO schools and you should be good

Reactions: 1 user
In cali MCAT and GPA has got to be almost perfect.....like goro said beggers can't be choosey add some DO schools and you should be good

i already got accepted to nsu and rvu utah (deciding between the two) a few other DO interviews lined up but no MD schools :(
I havent heard back from any MD's yet , is it my MCAT score preventing me?

Consider schools that do not place too much emphasis on stats. My LizzyM is ~60 and I got into an MD school.

Are you URM, from a lucky state, or have a significant EC (military or something)?
I guess I am URM :D(didn't know this when I initially applied though because I didn't know what it meant). I'm from GA with very basic ECs (my opinion).

Do I have a chance at UCLA if I'm from california?
I doubt it. Everybody wants to go to UCLA.

i already got accepted to nsu and rvu utah (deciding between the two) a few other DO interviews lined up but no MD schools :(
I havent heard back from any MD's yet , is it my MCAT score preventing me?
It's well < median for MD acceptees.

Get a DO accept and you'll be a doctor. You DO want to be a doctor, right?

Reactions: 1 users
Being a URM is essentially like adding 10 points on to your LM
10 points???? No way. The URM thing is way overhyped. Does it help? Almost certainly. But the difference between a LizzyM of 65 and a LizzyM of 75 is astronomical even if it’s the most URM of all time vs. standard white affluent male

Members don't see this ad :)
10 points???? No way. The URM thing is way overhyped. Does it help? Almost certainly. But the difference between a LizzyM of 65 and a LizzyM of 75 is astronomical even if it’s the most URM of all time vs. standard white affluent male
Ten points: that's going from a 508 and 3.5 to a 518 and 3.8. No, it's not that big a boost, unless you're SES disadvantaged as well. I'd say it's in the range of 5 to 8 LizzyM points. If "most URM of all time" means some African refugee who lived in poverty and worked full-time through school to support his younger siblings, then I could see 10 points for that Lifetime-worthy story.

Ten points: that's going from a 508 and 3.5 to a 518 and 3.8. No, it's not that big a boost, unless you're SES disadvantaged as well. I'd say it's in the range of 5 to 8 LizzyM points. If "most URM of all time" means some African refugee who lived in poverty and worked full-time through school to support his younger siblings, then I could see 10 points for that Lifetime-worthy story.
agree

Yes it 100% adds a huge boost. Show me a nonURM applicant without a military background or soemthing getting an MD acceptance with a 501. AA applicants with MCATs above a 510 are advised to apply to Ivy League and top tier med schools, a nonURM with a 510 still struggles to get into ANY MD school let alone an ivy

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes it 100% adds a huge boost. Show me a nonURM applicant without a military background or soemthing getting an MD acceptance with a 501. AA applicants with MCATs above a 510 are advised to apply to Ivy League and top tier med schools, a nonURM with a 510 still struggles to get into ANY MD school let alone an ivy

Anyone with a 510+ has an excellent chance of attending MD, but yes at the upper limits of the MCAT/when applying ivy it becomes more important

How about individuals with a 505 and a decent gpa (3.7) + a masters degree (3.66) ?
Just curious how much my mcat is holding me back

Being a URM is essentially like adding 10 points on to your LM

Well then. I'll just be quiet and....:whoa:

Sorry buddy but URM with half decent stats is essentially a guarantee entrance to MD or DO....Ive seen people with lower scores than mine and GPAs get into better schools.

How about individuals with a 505 and a decent gpa (3.7) + a masters degree (3.66) ?
Just curious how much my mcat is holding me back

Your MCAT is ehh it could be better but if you have DO acceptances then don't retake....just be happy you go in somewhere and go..........being in cali isn't helping and trying to leave the area is tough because most states like their own

do I have a shot at any MD schools? LizzyM~65

Med school => money trap. The baby boomer generation abused their powers; now the minorities run the show and they don't like whites, they don't like doctors getting to rich and they don't event want docs to have hospital lounges anymore...too luxurious.

Bottom line => If you are a minority who is passionate about equalizing care for other minorities you will excell in medicine. If your white you are viewed to a much higher standard and will have to work harder at every step of the way

Reactions: 1 users
Med school => money trap. The baby boomer generation abused their powers; now the minorities run the show and they don't like whites, they don't like doctors getting to rich and they don't event want docs to have hospital lounges anymore...too luxurious.

Bottom line => If you are a minority who is passionate about equalizing care for other minorities you will excell in medicine. If your white you are viewed to a much higher standard and will have to work harder at every step of the way

I am a South African Middle Eastern Looking(not middle eastern though) American, would I be considered a minority? (family is from south africa)

It depends on where on the AAMC data charts you look but, for example, if we look at median LizzyM AA applicants and ask what LizzyM a white applicant would need to have the same odds of admission, 5-8 LizzyM points is about right.

AA with around a 25 MCAT (old scale) and a 3.5 (these are very close to the medians for all applicants) has a 51% chance of admission as per AAMC. This is a LizzyM of 60. For white applicants, it's 14%. For white applicants they don't cross the 51% threshold until maybe around a 32 with the same GPA, so LizzyM 67. ~7 point advantage to the AA candidate. The advantage surely shrinks at higher LizzyMs since the odds will all be converging at a number close to but under 100%.

Disclaimer: I am taking no stand one way or the other on the eternal SDN debate on the morality of AA. Just commenting on a way, mathematically, the above question may be answered. Data is from here:

Table A-24: MCAT and GPA Grid for Applicants and Acceptees by Selected Race and Ethnicity, 2013-2014 through 2015-2016 (Aggregated) - Applicants and Matriculants Data - FACTS: Applicants, Matriculants, Enrollment, Graduates, MD/PhD, and Residency Applicants Data - Data and Analysis - AAMC
Those stats are incredibly inflated due to the many assured acceptance programs that target African Americans and Hispanics. Easy mistake to make, though.

This. URM is way overhyped. I’m a URM with a LizzyM of appproximately 68-72 and I have a had seven rejections this cycle. It’s not the golden ticket people make it out to be.
I have 2 research publications, an abstract and have been silenced from a majority of schools this cycle.

This. URM is way overhyped. I’m a URM with a LizzyM of appproximately 68-72 and I have a had seven rejections this cycle. It’s not the golden ticket people make it out to be.
I have 2 research publications, an abstract and have been silenced from a majority of schools this cycle.

It is not overhyped. If you can show me a traditional non-URM applicant from a non lucky state that has an MD acceptance with a 501 mcat I will agree with you.

It is not overhyped. If you can show me a traditional non-URM applicant from a non lucky state that has an MD acceptance with a 501 mcat I will agree with you.

No one is claiming it has no advantage... just that it doesn’t make an applicant be viewed identically (read: as qualified) as a non-URM that’s clearly more qualified academically.

No one is claiming it has no advantage... just that it doesn’t make an applicant be viewed identically (read: as qualified) as a non-URM that’s clearly more qualified academically.

I just dont understand how you can say that when a nonURM would have a 0% chance at getting an acceptance with a 501.

I sure can! They just don’t post on SDN...

With that logic I should have a LizzyM score of
81 and yet I’ve been rejected from “mid-low tier schools”. The msar shows that people do get it in 501 mcats. You don’t know that persons story. They could have done a post-bacc, have insane research. There are a lot of variables that is seems your are willing to ignore. Sounds like your projecting.

With that logic I should have a LizzyM score of
81 and yet I’ve been rejected from “mid-low tier schools”. The msar shows that people do get it in 501 mcats. You don’t know that persons story. They could have done a post-bacc, have insane research. There are a lot of variables that is seems your are willing to ignore. Sounds like your projecting.
If URM was such a free ticket, when why are URMS still underpresented? There are less AA men in medical school now than in the 1970’s. Yet the number of Asians and whites have steadily increased.

I’m not denying that URM isnt an advantage but it isn’t the end all, be all you claim it to be.

Guys,

discussions about race/URM in admissions is forbidden in the SDN pre-med forums. This is a long standing policy.

Consider yourself warned; continuation of the discussion along those lines will result in the thread being locked or closed and all participants receiving action against their accounts.

Guys,

discussions about race/URM in admissions is forbidden in the SDN pre-med forums. This is a long standing policy.

Consider yourself warned; continuation of the discussion along those lines will result in the thread being locked or closed and all participants receiving action against their accounts.
Apologies. Is this applied to only negative commentary, or just all discussion per se? I hope none of my comments have been perceived negatively, rather than an explanation of why the statistics appear as they do on AAMC.

New

New York. Stonybrook Med
Guys,

Understood.