Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

3.6cGPA, 3.45sGPA, 23 MCAT (Retake July 24)....help with school list/chances?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Ninjaman180, 05.20.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Ninjaman180

Ninjaman180 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    -3.6cGPA, 3.4sGPA
    -23 MCAT (8/6/9) retaking July 24
    -Volunteered 100+ hours at the pre-operation area at my school's hospital
    -50+ hours shadowing a top thoracic surgeon at my school's hospital.....50+ hours shadowing my local doctor
    -ONLY leadership has been mentoring kids at YMCA....not even leadership really but I was in command so
    -ZERO Research
    -50+ hours volunteering at Ronald McDonald house...50+ combined hours at my local YMCA&library
    -Freshman year worked at McDonalds about 15 hours per week.

School list so far...
    -OHIO is my residency so Im applying to all of those

-The Ohio State Univ. Coll. of Med.
    -The University of Toledo College of Medicine
    -University of Cincinnati College of Medicine

-University of Kansas
    -New York University

Any others...? and chances? Retake Im hoping will be at the 26+ area...

Thanks guys!!! :D:D

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Beth_W737

Beth_W737 Member 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would look at in state DO and other DO schools, even with 26 MCAT unless you have some spectacular EC/story, chances not very good for allopathic schools. Good luck!

4. emkayveedee

emkayveedee 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    We have the same GPA, you have better ECs than I did though. I got a 33 on my MCAT and I ended up only getting into Midwestern (DO school). So I would say if you retake the MCAT and get 28+ you could have a shot at MD schools but I would still apply to a few DOs.

5. smpbound

smpbound 2+ Year Member

i would hold off on applying until you get that july mcat score.

6. lmn

lmn 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Your MCAT is too low, I wouldn't apply until you increase it, you are more than likely going to need 30+ to even have a chance at MD programs, and at least more towards 28ish for DO's. Also schools like NYU? You aren't even remotely close to their stats, make sure you are diligent in choosing a school list once you fix your mcat

Goro likes this.
  7. OneTwoThreeFour

OneTwoThreeFour 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I would take another year to firm up the application because as of now, it seems like you have a low GPA, low MCAT, and light ECs for allopathic medical school. Keep in mind that the average matriculant MCAT is inching further and further up to around 32 I believe; a 26 is still almost 2 STDev below that average.
    Buff out your application with some research volunteering, some hospital grunt work if you can find it, and some dedicated MCAT studying time to pull you up further and you have a good shot for the class of 2020.
    Just trying to save you a couple grand and a year of anxiety!
    Good luck.

8. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    Your numbers are not competitive for a top school like NYU. NYMC is more what you should be aiming at. You will need to get that MCAT > 30 to be competitive for most MD schools. The < avg sGPA is going to hurt, but is not lethal.

U KS is a state school and not likely to pay any attention to you. State schools favor the home team. MSAR Online is your friend.

Consider applying broadly to DO schools.

About the ads