3.6oGPA, 3.7sGPA, no MCAT yet (JAN)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BTR1208

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it has been a long journey for me. I have been on my own since I was 17, had to bust my ass to get anywhere in life. Always being told I will not amount to anything in life, etc. Whatever life moves on, I knew if I wanted anything I needed to work for it.

I started working overnights full time caring for disabled clients and taking classes during the day at my local CC. Prereqs at the CC: Bio 1/2, GC 1, Physics 1/2. All A's. 3.8 GPA at the CC and got an associates.

From there transferred to a 4-year state school. Still working, this time as a coordinator for the largest before/after school program in the school system. Took my OC 1/2 (A, B+), GC 2 (A+), Genetics (A+), Physio (C), along with other gen ed classes. Will have my B.S. by next Fall.

So I am not sitting at a 3.6 oGPA and a 3.7sGPA. Still plan on taking Biochem, Micro and ecology and plan to raise my GPA if possible. Still working as well.

I have come good volunteering hours. And need to shadow some more.

I guess my main concern is the CC hours. Will that kill me when applying to schools? I know my GPA is around average. With a good MCAT could I possibly be looking at some acceptances? I plan to take the Jan MCAT and apply next cycle.

Which schools are generally CC friendly? Do I have a realistic shot?

Thanks everybody!

Members don't see this ad.

Also no research.

Next year can be spent doing as much volunteering, etc as needed to strengthen my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to that calculator my GPA's are:

Overall: 3.763
Science: 3.694

According to that calculator my GPA's are:

Overall: 3.763
Science: 3.694
Looks very good.
Get an MCAT better than the median at your state school and keep working the EC's as time permits. CC units will not be blemishes on an otherwise beautiful application.

As is always the case with these kind of threads, without an MCAT score(which some would argue is the single most important of a med school application) there really isn't all that much that can be said about your chances. That said, your GPA is fine, focus on that major variable that is the MCAT then come back here.