Polycarp

10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I have a 3.7 GPA, in Mechanical Engineering (for what it is worth), and I just got my MCAT back yesterday: 38R (12PS, 13BS, 13V). So I applied to these schools below already, before knowing what my score would be. I would like to stay in the midwest, but I am applying widely because I would rather go to a good school than a midwestern school. Extracurriculars: I volunteer at the hospital and have shadowed some doctors, one for 2 weeks weeks during my vacation, did research for a year, have had some internships and some good leadership.

So my question, does this spread seem like a good mix of safety, middle, and reach? Any recommendations for other schools that I should consider now that I have my MCAT?

Harvard
Indiana
Loyola
Mayo
Medical College of Wisconsin
Northwestern
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
University of Iowa
University of Minnesota
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh
University of Wisconsin
Yale

Ignition

10+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
U of MN isn't THAT biased towards in-staters (220 interviews offered out of 3116 OOS apps last year-MSAR)...I'd recommend keeping it on the list.

OP
P

Polycarp

10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I'd include U Michigan, UChicago Pritzker, I'd take out Uminnesota since they seem more for in staters. I'd add in UIC possibly SLU and WashU both since you want midwest schools.
I will add U Michigan for sure, I wasn't going to before because it is pretty tough, but I think with the 38 I have a shot now. Is UIC University of Iowa Carver? I will take a look at SLU and see what I think.

I have heard a lot of negative things about the atmosphere of WashU, so I am hesitant about applying. Has anyone heard anything about it or know anybody who goes there?

Thanks for the help!

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I will add U Michigan for sure, I wasn't going to before because it is pretty tough, but I think with the 38 I have a shot now. Is UIC University of Iowa Carver? I will take a look at SLU and see what I think.

I have heard a lot of negative things about the atmosphere of WashU, so I am hesitant about applying. Has anyone heard anything about it or know anybody who goes there?

Thanks for the help!
If you are hesitant, don't apply. You don't want to head into a situation with any type of negative bias. FWIW, yes, many students are unhappy at WashU. But of course, many are also thrilled.

UIC = University of Illinois - Chicago.

enigma85

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 3, 2006
New York, NY
Status
Medical Student
I would strongly encourage applying to WashU. It's an amazing medical center and most students love it.

Vanderbilt and Case Western would also be great potential schools for you as well. I would add all 3 if I were you.

Good luck!

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical