3.7 cGPA 3.65 sGPA 23 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usmctodo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are in a tough situation. Usually I think if someone gets at least a 24 they can get into a DO school. Your MCAT is pretty unbalanced, though. It might be in your best interest to take a gap year and improve that MCAT. Heck, if you improve it enough you could apply to MDs next year!

You are in a tough situation. Usually I think if someone gets at least a 24 they can get into a DO school. Your MCAT is pretty unbalanced, though. It might be in your best interest to take a gap year and improve that MCAT. Heck, if you improve it enough you could apply to MDs next year!

I'm probably going to end up retaking the test in late august. Should I submit my secondary to a few schools as soon as I receive them? or wait? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
chances are excellent. apply broadly and you should be fine.

I would say you can probably land an acceptance somewhere. That being said, you'll obviously need to focus on the less MCAT heavy schools.

chances are excellent. apply broadly and you should be fine.

with a 23 mcat? maybe for DO...maybe

great EC's though!

I would say you can probably land an acceptance somewhere. That being said, you'll obviously need to focus on the less MCAT heavy schools.

Here are the schools I was considering before receiving my MCAT score:

1) A.T. Still University, Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine,MO
2) Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Bradenton Campus, FL
3) Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine - Erie/Seton Hill, PA
4) Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine, FL
5) NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine, NY
6) Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, PA
7) Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (formerly UMDNJ SOM), NJ
8) University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, ME
9) West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, Admissions Office, WV
10) TouroCOM - Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine, NY

I'm assuming UMDNJ-SOM is out, but which other schools do you recommend I add/remove? Thank you for info!

If you can afford to apply to as many schools as you want you should add:

LMU DCOM, MUCOM, CUSOM, ACOM, VCOM

and add William Carey and KYCOM too. They are regionally biased though.

Depending on your state of residence I would remove:
Rowan som and NYIT

First many thanks for your service to your country. I think that while the 5Vr will hurt at some places, you definitely be accepted. So apply broadly.

Semper fi!

Hey all,
So I’m a bit bummed about my MCAT. I took it on June 20th and got a 23 (8 PS, 5 VR, 10 BS). My average AAMC MCAT score per section ( 9.3 PS, 6.8 VR, 10.7 BS). I took all 3-11. I didn't feel nervous during the exam and don't usually have test anxiety. English is my second language (10 years in US), but it’s really not a good excuse for my performance, especially on Verbal. I was wondering if I should re-apply next cycle and take a gap year or just wing it at this point. My AACOMAS application is pending at the moment and I’ve paid for several school’s application fees prior to receiving my MCAT.

3.7 cGPA 3.65 sGPA –Bio major
USMC Veteran - Honorable Discharge (Combat Vet, New Jersey Distinguished Service Medal)
Volunteering in ER - over 150 hours
Lots of shadowing (Surgery/IM/FM/RADS) and non-clinical volunteering (200+ hours in each)
3 semesters of research – 1 publication
Several healthcare based internships (3 full summers paid)
Several scholarship awards from college
Very strong letters
Lots of leadership positions, clubs, etc
NJ resident

btw: my school has a pre-med committee, so who knows if they will even write me a letter with a 23, but that's a completely different issue all together.

Thanks!

If you can afford to apply to as many schools as you want you should add:

LMU DCOM, MUCOM, CUSOM, ACOM, VCOM

and add William Carey and KYCOM too. They are regionally biased though.

Depending on your state of residence I would remove:
Rowan som and NYIT

Thanks for the input! I will check out the 5 schools you've mentioned and add them to the list ASAP. Semper Fi!