3.7 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA, 36 MCAT - please help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amla87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I live in MA right now but grew up in FL (so I'm hoping to qualify for FL residency) with a 36 MCAT (11 PS, 13 VR, 12 BS), and 3.7 c/s GPAs. I also went to a competitive undergrad school, so I'm not sure how my GPA compares with averages

I have research, clinical, volunteering, and shadowing experience, and I'm currently in the middle of a 2-year clinical research position. I'm also a non-trad applicant who spent a year working in a non-medical field after college

Here is my list as of right now... I'm worried it's top-heavy so please let me know what you think! Should I take out some top schools and add in others I'm more likely to get into? (I'd really like to have a list of 20-22 schools to apply to)

UMiami
U South Florida Morsani
UFlorida
University of Vermont
Temple
Rochester
Boston U
Emory
Vanderbilt
NYU
Einstein
Tufts
Mt Sinai
Northwestern
Weill Cornell
USC Keck
UC San Diego
UCLA
Columbia
Harvard
Stanford
UPenn
Johns Hopkins

Also considering:
Jefferson
Tulane

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on an awesome MCAT score! I think your list seems pretty good, maybe slightly top heavy? While your MCAT score is in line with a lot of the top schools, your GPA is slightly below their medians. But since you're planning on applying to so many schools, I think you'll be fine. I'm a Florida resident, and I think if you can declare residency USF and UF would be great "safeties." I would also consider UCF...it's really an up and coming school. I've heard incredible things!! I would throw in Jefferson if you're applying to Temple. And what about UMass? And maybe some others to consider are: UVA, Michigan, and Mayo. Although that's only adding some more very competitive schools haha. Well good luck! I'm sure you'll have a great cycle!

Congratulations on an awesome MCAT score! I think your list seems pretty good, maybe slightly top heavy? While your MCAT score is in line with a lot of the top schools, your GPA is slightly below their medians. But since you're planning on applying to so many schools, I think you'll be fine. I'm a Florida resident, and I think if you can declare residency USF and UF would be great "safeties." I would also consider UCF...it's really an up and coming school. I've heard incredible things!! I would throw in Jefferson if you're applying to Temple. And what about UMass? And maybe some others to consider are: UVA, Michigan, and Mayo. Although that's only adding some more very competitive schools haha. Well good luck! I'm sure you'll have a great cycle!

Thanks!! I'll take a look at UCF too. Unfortunately I can't apply to UMass because you have to be in MA for 5 years before qualifying for residency. I'll keep working on the list; thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it!!