MD Good ECs, how does the school list look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tbonez71

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
*Edited after cycle completed

UG: UC school (not Cal or LA)
Race: non-URM Latino
Year: 3 gap years

GPA: -
MCAT: -

ECs:
Research:
  1. mid author pub
  2. 2 - 1st author posters at national conference
  3. 6 co-author posters at national conferences
  4. 3200 hours in biotech career
  5. 2000 hours in UG research
Clinical:
  1. Paid - 2000 hours as a tech at an optometry practice
  2. Volunteering - 500 hours Spanish translation for clinics
  3. Shadowing - 100 hours
Non-clinical:
  1. 1 year as leader of local service club
  2. 500 hours constructing a homeless shelter
  3. 2 years philanthropy chair for frat
  4. 200 hours various short-term service opportunities
Then some artistic hobbies I put in there that I think stood out too. I had a story to tell but I'm leaving the bare bones up here so you get the gist of it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Bump, just want some help on my mid-tiers!

Your research looks excellent, as does your MCAT. There are only two issues I see for top schools. The first issue is that your GPA is slightly low (which might be ok given the circumstances). The second problem, however, is that if you take away your research, your activities seem to be very typical of most candidates to top schools. It is still worth a try though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. I do wish things had worked out differently my junior year, yet I'm still around the 10th %ile of those top private schools so I figured why not, if my MCAT can somehow get me through to a secondary.

I'll be adding more hours to non-clinical volunteering, including future hours for next year it could be like 400-500 for those activities, but maybe I should do something different these next few months to round out my application. Any thoughts as how to balance out my research experience and be more competitive?

Hey my biggest note for you would be probably don't include U of Washington. They don't take many students from out of region. As a California resident who didn't do undergrad in Washington I really don't see them looking at you very seriously. They also really emphasize work with underserved communities/primary care so they may not be as interested in your research credentials.

We have similar stats and I've also been wondering about whether I have enough mid tiers. We obviously can't only apply to the high tier elites and we obviously won't get much luck at the low tier, low yield schools with tons of apps.

What kinds schools do you consider mid tier? I have a few on my thread from a couple days back too. Basically, I looked at MSAR for schools where a 34-36 MCAT would be the median or average. IMO I think those schools are gonna be where we have the most traction. Luckily, a few of them (like Rochester) have been long time dream schools of mine so that's fortunate.

What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Posting this now that the dust has settled and the only thing left for this cycle are waitlists. I found it useful when I was starting the cycle to look around for people with similar stats, especially since they are a tad unbalanced... And see where they had success to help construct my list. Hopefully someone finds this useful.

I got interviews at about 2/3 of the schools that I applied to. Honestly I would have applied to fewer to save on the application costs, especially since I was not able to attend all of them. I got accepted to most of my interviews, with a few waitlists and a few rejections. I would say my best acceptances are Northwestern, Vanderbilt, and Pitt. I did have interviews at 3 top 10s (based on the current USNWR lol) that translated to one waitlist and 2 rejections.

Interestingly, I got very little love from California. No interview at UCSF and UCLA, waitlist at UCSD, acceptance at Keck. Radio silence from the others. I thought my research and service fit in well with their missions, and my stats were good enough, but it didn't pan out :/

Overall I would say my cycle was successful but I did not at all understand why it turned out the way it did. I got some love at some known stat whorish schools which I would NOT expect given my GPA without an upward trend. I did not get into my top schools where I felt I best fit their mission and were more lenient on GPA (based on MSAR) where good research and ECs were more important. What does that mean? Who knows, mostly that this whole process really is a crapshoot and to never count on things turning out the way you expect, especially if you are gunning for a specific school or state.

I didn't get any scholarship offers in case you were wondering.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for coming back and updating. It is a crapshoot and I wish more people realized that. There are so many threads that show the frustration of applicants who thought they’d just walk in to med school
and they end up with one or even no acceptances. Congrats on your cycle.

I did have interviews at 3 top 10s (based on the current USNWR lol) that translated to one waitlist and 2 rejections.

Congrats on your cycle! If you don't mind sharing, what schools were they? did they seem to have an issue with your GPA during the interviews? My stats and extracurriculars are very similar to yours so I'm trying to get a feel for schools to apply to!

Congrats on your cycle! If you don't mind sharing, what schools were they? did they seem to have an issue with your GPA during the interviews? My stats and extracurriculars are very similar to yours so I'm trying to get a feel for schools to apply to!

My GPA never came up at any point during any of my interviews. If they had a problem with it, I assume they would not have considered me in the first place or did not want to waste their time asking me about it in an interview where they were supposed to be getting to know me.

Anyway I had interviews at NYU (waitlist), Mayo, and Duke. I also had an interview at Yale (rejected after a terrible interview lol).