3.7 GPA 29 MCAT but low verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsherm52

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am in a pretty bad situation and could use all the advise I can get. I am a Missouri resident and I like kcumb.
Mcats are:
V3P10B9
V8P8B12
V6P11B12
I have a 3.7 cGPA 3.55 sGPA
VOLUNTEER almost 100 hours at a hospital
Volunteer 4 years as youth and high school football coach
Year and a half research in molecular bio
Worked at a surgical CME place
Worked at chemical lab
Currently work in ER as medical scribe

I am really concerned about Beeinh screened out for my 6 in verbal. What is everyone's thoughts

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools take the highest scores from each test and combine them. In your case, that would be a 31 (V8 P11 B12). Most schools that do this are DO from what I understand. You're VERY competitive at those schools with an above average sGPA and cGPA, and an above average MCAT with or without the combined school (the 6 may hurt you at some schools though).

Are you ESL or URM? That might help... otherwise MD will be rough and you might want to think about saving your money or using it to apply DO.

Here's a list of which ones do what: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-do-schools-view-multiple-mcat-scores.822285/

I can see it being a problem. But, I think the only thing to do now is NOT retake the MCAT, but to try an app ccyle and see how things shake out.

Aim for DO programs and low tier MD schools, and your state school (if any).

Hello all,
I am in a pretty bad situation and could use all the advise I can get. I am a Missouri resident and I like kcumb.
Mcats are:
V3P10B9
V8P8B12
V6P11B12
I have a 3.7 cGPA 3.55 sGPA
VOLUNTEER almost 100 hours at a hospital
Volunteer 4 years as youth and high school football coach
Year and a half research in molecular bio
Worked at a surgical CME place
Worked at chemical lab
Currently work in ER as medical scribe

I am really concerned about Beeinh screened out for my 6 in verbal. What is everyone's thoughts