MD & DO 3.7 GPA, 3.58-3.62 Science GPA, 31 MCAT, Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PenguinLovers

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

So basically I'm currently a senior getting read to apply (essentially a gap year)

Stats:
-Bio major Psych Minor
-MD = 3.7 gpa with like a 3.6/high 3.5 science GPA (3.8-3.9+ Last 60-70 credits though)
-DO (because retakes are replaced) = 3.79 GPA with like a 3.68ish Science GPA
-MCAT = 31 (8 Verbal/ 11 PS /12 BS )
-Maryland Resident
-Ties to DC (brother works there, and my dad used to work there. We lived there for a bit before)
-Strong ties to Florida (Go there at least once a year, all my cousins pretty much live there, along with my grandparents and my great grandma who passed away last year)

Extracurriculars:
-Worked one year in my aunt's psychiatric clinic as a file room attendant/patient admissions attendant
~200 hours of volunteering, 100~ in Shock Trauma/ER (continuing throughout gap year)
~1-1.5 years of research (will be continuing throughout gap year)
~50 hours of MD shadowing, ~30 hours of Dental Shadowing (decided it wasn't for me)
~20 hours of DO shadowing (didn't know this was a mandatory requirement for some schools for the letter)
~1-2 years of working at Barnes and Nobles
~Insaaaannnnee amounts of hours as part of a local mosque youth group, honestly probably close to 1000 hours if not more. We do a bunch of stuff, including community service like local neighborhood cleanups, canned food drives, car washes, hold major conferences, etc. We also maintain the mosque, help the janitors out whenever, its slowly becoming huge. We hit nearly 500-1000 people for Friday Prayers each week. Every other Saturday we go to DC and give food to the homeless as well (make it ourselves at a local kitchen then hand it out. Free indian food for everyone!)
~2 years of sunday school volunteering
~6 semesters of Intramural Basketball (Games 1-2x a week for 8-10 weeks each semester)
~4 years of Muslim Student Association on Campus (also do a lot of community service with soup kitchens and such)
~2 years of Premed Society

Unfortunately, I got a D in my first time taking Orgo 2 and I also only had around a 3.5-3.6 my first 2 years before I brought it w/ the last 2. Also, a lot of med related stuff (including research), have only been done within the last 2 years because I didn't know what I wanted to do until the summer of my sophomore year.

Any ideas which schools to apply and chances?

So far:
UMD, GW, GTown, U of Miami = MD
PCOM, LECOM, NOVA (uncle went to dental school here not too long ago but idk if that matters) = DO

Don't really have the money to apply to like 20+ schools so I'm trying to narrow it down to the most likely choices. MD or Florida schools would be preferred but I have no preference for MD or DO, I just wanna have the best shot at interviews/acceptances possible.

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
if you don't have money, have you tried getting a fee waiver? you can get 15 MD schools for free if your family qualifies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Goro suggests

UMD,
PCOM,
LECOM,
NOVA

Drexel
Jefferson
Penn State
TCMC
VA-Tech
Temple
Loyola
Rush
RFU
VCU
EVMS
Tufts
SLU
Einstein
MCW
UMiami
Any DO program

Thanks Goro! Any idea as to what my chances are for landing an interview at any of the MD schools? Specifically UMD or UMiami?

Also, why would you recommend against GW/GTown? My friends told me to also look into applying to Howard because I had some extracurricular experiences serving the less fortunate in the city. Would that be smart to do or is it a waste of money?

Thank you!

I think your best MD chance will with U MD. Your GPAs are great, but I am concerned about what people will think about the below below avg. MCAT (which is still in striking distance for the schools on my list).

Thanks Goro! Any idea as to what my chances are for landing an interview at any of the MD schools? Specifically UMD or UMiami?

10s of thousands of applicants. I think you can do better elsewhere.

Also, why would you recommend against GW/GTown?

I would rule out a try at Howard or other HBCs unless you had extensive and continual demonstration of commitment to the underserved, especially to persons of color.

My friends told me to also look into applying to Howard because I had some extracurricular experiences serving the less fortunate in the city. Would that be smart to do or is it a waste of money?

Reactions: 1 user