DO >3.7 GPA & >31 MCAT but lackluster ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

282NC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As stated in my title, my numbers are okay but I'm almost certain the rest of my application kept me out of MD schools this (current) cycle, as I had a few interviews. I have around a hundred hours of clinical volunteering and less than that of both non clinical and shadowing, and no research. I'm looking forward to next cycle but this time I'm including DO schools and was wondering what my chances look like. The glaring issue is that I have done nothing to further my application but work full time since the beginning of this cycle and I know exactly how that looks.

I have a decent paying job that has no relevance to a medical career but I need it to make the student loan payments. I also work variable hours & sleep during the day so that's my excuse, as flimsy as it may be, for not volunteering/shadowing/doing anything remotely productive for my application.

So, in addition to predicting my success with DO schools, I would also appreciate any last minute suggestions before the next cycle begins.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Lack of research will not be an issue for do schools. You are fine for any of them.

Thanks for the input, Goro. Any thoughts on having nothing but non-medical full time employment on the app from June 2015 to the time of application around June of 2016? Obviously it's not good, but is it an app killer? Is it realistic to expect my stats alone to save it?

DO schools won't see me as a reapplicant because I didn't apply to DO schools this year, but will all of the ECs being at least a year old be completely devastating?

Also, I plan on shadowing/getting a DO letter before applying in June.

Members don't see this ad :)
The lack of doing anything for a year might raise some eyebrows, but that means you're going to need to explain at interviews. There are 168 hrs in a week, and you use 40 for work and what, 40 for sleep? And you didn't have time to volunteer for anything? ?

I suggest that you don't sit on your laurals and try to do some volunteering soon.

Thanks for the input, Goro. Any thoughts on having nothing but non-medical full time employment the app from June 2015 to the time of application around June of 2016? Obviously it's not good, but is it an app killer? Is it realistic to expect my stats alone to save it?

DO schools won't see me as a reapplicant because I didn't apply to DO schools this year, but will all of the ECs being at least a year old be completely devastating?

Also, I plan on shadowing/getting a DO letter before applying in June.

Reactions: 1 user
The lack of doing anything for a year might raise some eyebrows, but that means you're going to need to explain at interviews. There are 168 hrs in a week, and you use 40 for work and what, 40 for sleep? And you didn't have time to volunteer for anything? ?

I suggest that you don't sit on your laurals and try to do some volunteering soon.

Well I try to get 56 hours if I can, but the real issue is that I work at night and sleep during the day. But your advice is noted; it's a poor excuse for not doing anything other than working. I'm going to try to find something to get involved with around here (rural area).

I giggle at the propaganda spouting by adcoms about how they want nontraditional gems when the metrics they use for admission is becoming more restrictive, suitable for only traditional students with no real life experience.

My advice is to do what you need to do to pay your bills. Work hard and then hope for the best. Squeezing an extra 5-10 hrs for volunteer work/wk definitely won't hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your local houses of worship should be able to come up with something for you.

Well I try to get 56 hours if I can, but the real issue is that I work at night and sleep during the day. But your advice is noted; it's a poor excuse for not doing anything other than working. I'm going to try to find something to get involved with around here (rural area).