Mar 21, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey im a student at a liberal arts school and a resident of PA

biology major

i have a 3.81 in other classes and a 3.62 in the sciences and math and a 3.72 cumGPA

35 mcats

ecs - track and field captain ran for 3 years, RA for 3 years, president of a club for 3 years, leader of church ministry for 3 years

volunteer work -
over 100+ hours of shadowing and volunteering from a premedical program at a large hospital

i was thinking about all the philly areas schools and also boston, seattle, or washington dc

my chances ?

thanks!

Last edited:

VOP

5+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2009
Silver Spring, MD
Status
Medical Student
if you are restricted to those specific areas, D.C. schools are pretty weird in their selection. I don't know about those other areas you listed. Try adding some research experience (if you dont have any)

Overall you have a great chance if you apply broadly and early. You may also be able to try some top 20 schools and see if the ball bounces your way on that one.

canjosh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2004
Houston
Status
Medical Student
I'm certainly not a NE expert, but I'd say your chances are good. Maybe add the SUNY schools and Albany? According to AAMC data, you have approx 84% chance of being accepted somewhere...higher if you're Black, Asian, or Hispanic.

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
Your numbers, Sports involvement, and your Leadership look terrific. Does the church ministry work include some nonmedical community service? If so, you'd want to be sure to give details.

I'm wondering also if you could beef up your clinical hours before applying? A typical applicant will have 150 hours of clinical experience over 1.5 years, plus another 50-80 hours shadowing physicians. If you had to split out the shadowing and clinical volunteering, how would you list the total hours? (There are some positions where both activities are included in one, like medical translator or scribe, in which case you make sure your description covers both expectations.)

Any research?

UWashington takes very few applicants who are not from surrounding states. So the OOS acceptance percentage can be misleading. If you want another big city, consider adding Chicago schools.