3.7 GPA, 494/497 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vkarp

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a chance for interviews at these DO schools so apply to all of them:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
UIWSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
Idaho (new school)
LUCOM
LECOM (all schools)
If applying this year you need to apply this month and submit all your secondaries by late September.

You have a chance for interviews at these DO schools so apply to all of them:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
UIWSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
Idaho (new school)
LUCOM
LECOM (all schools)
If applying this year you need to apply this month and submit all your secondaries by late September.
Just wonder if I get accepted into DO and get a higher MCAT retake later on, will MD schools know?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is your state of residence? Your chances for a MD acceptance are very low. The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a less than 10% chance for a MD acceptance with your stats so concentrate on a DO application.

PLEASE DON'T QUOTE!!!
Do I have any chances for MD & DO?
I'm ORM (Asian)
700+ hrs of clinical experience
700+ hrs of research experience (no publication)
tons of non-clinical volunteering
non-traditional
newly immigrant, ESL, low SES
Retook MCAT from last year but my CARS really f*** me up
494 - 127/120/126/121 (2016)
497 - 128/120/125/124 (2017)
Last year I only applied to MD before I got my score back but was surprised when I got 1 interview (late March), but no acceptance!
This year, I'm thinking about DO but don't know what to do. Please suggest!
If possible, can you compare my future chances bw MD vs. DO if I wanted to become ophthalmologist? @Goro @gyngyn plz advice!

Your MCAT scores are lethal. You're in a risk zone for failing med school and/or Boards. I suggest Plan B.

Just wonder if I get accepted into DO and get a higher MCAT retake later on, will MD schools know?
They will not know. But as Goro said, if you can't pull your MCAT scores up you're at serious risk of failure, so you should be trying to prove to yourself you can do this more than anything.

Your MCAT scores are lethal. You're in a risk zone for failing med school and/or Boards. I suggest Plan B.
They will not know. But as Goro said, if you can't pull your MCAT scores up you're at serious risk of failure, so you should be trying to prove to yourself you can do this more than anything.

So are you guys thinking that I should not apply to DO also?

Right now, with that low MCAT, I'm struggled bw the choices - applying to DO vs. retaking MCAT next year then MD. But this year is going to be my 2nd gap year and my brain is saying like stop wasting time, applying to DO and I can go to MD residency later. But my heart is preferring retaking MCAT and applying to MD but that will take more time than I expected. So Idk what I should do at this point....

Right now, with that low MCAT, I'm struggled bw the choices - applying to DO vs. retaking MCAT next year then MD. But this year is going to be my 2nd gap year and my brain is saying like stop wasting time, applying to DO and I can go to MD residency later. But my heart is preferring retaking MCAT and applying to MD but that will take more time than I expected. So Idk what I should do at this point....
Go ahead and apply, I'm just saying that you should be concerned about whether you will succeed should you get an admit. I've seen it happen, but be ready to work HARD.

Reactions: 1 user
More MD schools are now asking if you have been accepted at other schools.

Turning down an accept to reapply is one of the worst mistakes a pre-med can make.

Why do think that your 3rd retake will magically improve to an MD caliber score? Are you aware that many schools average scores, as per AMCAS recommendations??

Reactions: 1 users

I think you should retake the MCAT this winter/spring 2018, and apply broadly to DO and maybe a few low tier and your state MD.

Seems kinda strange you're trying to see if you can get into DO this year then reapply MD with new MCAt next cycle to be honest. You'd have to massively improve on the MCAT to have a chance at MD, and even then your old scores will still be significant.

You have a shot at DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you should retake the MCAT this winter/spring 2018, and apply broadly to DO and maybe a few low tier and your state MD.
Wouldn't that be too late for this cycle? or you mean that I should take an extra gap year?

Wouldn't that be too late for this cycle? or you mean that I should take an extra gap year?

I think it would be best if you took another gap year. Get a solid mcat score this winter/springs and apply early. Frankly it may be too late for you to begin apps this cycle anyway.