DO 3.7 sGPA 28 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

September24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is mainly concerning NSU (southeastern) and AZCOM (midwestern). These are the schools that I have applied to currently.

MAIN ISSUES:
I dont have a D.O letter of rec.
The applications were complete in MID-October.

My MCAT is a 28 (I have 2 done both scoring a 28 with a 9/9/10 and a 10/10/8)
My sGPA is about a 3.7
I have an M.D letter of rec.
I have around 200 hours of shadowing, some research, officer positions in clubs and some other stuff.Overall decent EC's.

I applied pretty late without a D.O letter. Do I have a good chance at getting an interview?

Edit: Sorry! Gotta move to premed D.O

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
FOLLOWUP:To be honest, I also have a secondary waiting at A.T Still Arizona and Touro California. However, due to the higher secondary application costs, I had to prioritize other schools over them. I'm open to applying to them now though but I need to know if its worth it this late in the cycle. If the AACOMAS is still open, should I apply to other D.O schools too? Again, it's the "lateness" that bothers me.

Numbers are quite good for any of the schools that don't require a DO LOR. AZCOM want a minimum of 29 MCAT, alas.

Hey guys, this is mainly concerning NSU (southeastern) and AZCOM (midwestern). These are the schools that I have applied to currently.

MAIN ISSUES:
I dont have a D.O letter of rec.
The applications were complete in MID-October.

My MCAT is a 28 (I have 2 done both scoring a 28 with a 9/9/10 and a 10/10/8)
My sGPA is about a 3.7
I have an M.D letter of rec.
I have around 200 hours of shadowing, some research, officer positions in clubs and some other stuff.Overall decent EC's.

I applied pretty late without a D.O letter. Do I have a good chance at getting an interview?

Edit: Sorry! Gotta move to premed D.O

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA is very good by the standards of DO matriculants and your MCAT is less impressive but still adequate. However, DO isn't as much about numbers. Experiences play a larger role. What did you do for volunteering?

Goro- So should I not expect anything from AZCOM

Doug- I have 30 or so hours at a volunteer healthcare clinic
I have around 200 hours of MD shadowing
I am currently volunteering at 2 hospitals in different areas accounting for around 200-300 hours.
I have gone on a volunteer medical trip to Panama
I also have 100 hours of hospice volunteering

That's all I remember for now.

Question for all: Is my MCAT bad for DO? I was told that its good/average for osteopathic professions. I always thougt MCAT range for DO was 26-28? MD is 30-32

I think you are solid. Your only 'hindrance' is that you are a bit late-ish in the cycle.

Goro- So should I not expect anything from AZCOM

Doug- I have 30 or so hours at a volunteer healthcare clinic
I have around 200 hours of MD shadowing
I am currently volunteering at 2 hospitals in different areas accounting for around 200-300 hours.
I have gone on a volunteer medical trip to Panama
I also have 100 hours of hospice volunteering

That's all I remember for now.

Question for all: Is my MCAT bad for DO? I was told that its good/average for osteopathic professions. I always thougt MCAT range for DO was 26-28? MD is 30-32

Your MCAT is great for DO schools, no need to worry.

The lack of a DO letter may be a concern, but if you applied broadly, you should have no problem getting in somewhere.

EDIT: did you ONLY apply to two schools?

Yeah, you are good to go for DO and you can probably apply to some MDs with that 3.7 and those ECs.

Applying to only four schools is a terrible idea, however. We've got lots of SDNers applying to five times that and lots of people go for 25. I think those 4 should translate to at least 2 interviews with that 3.7, however.