This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cy246194

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been stressing myself out a bit looking through MSAR and trying to make a list of schools, so feedback is definitely appreciated! Here's me in a nutshell:

Currently in MPH Epidemiology program at state school (will finish next May) (GPA 3.74)
Graduated liberal arts school with major Neuroscience and minor Mathematics (cGPA 3.7, sGPA 3.65)
MCAT 508 (125/128/126/129) - but this was my third attempt so it makes me really nervous (first 2 old MCAT - 27/28)
Experience - about 50 hours through a hospital premed observer program with my school and about 4 years volunteering with a local hospice (eventually became a campus coordinator)
Research - 2wk qualitative project in Botswana, ~2yrs+summer working in a medicinal chemistry lab at my school (presentations but beginning stage so no publications), summer with international REU in biology (Turkey, 3 presentations, 2 publications in the works), summer program with EVMS (1 presentation, 1 publication + more shadowing experience), and program with St Jude this summer
ECs - in a couple honors societies, peer tutor (chem, orgo physics - 3.5yrs), Vice President of Colleges Against Cancer, Social Justice Collaborative, sorority, varsity field hockey (left after 1 year)
Currently GRE tutoring and working as a dean's assistant along with 5 grad classes and 1 audit course

Sorry I just kind of threw everything up there (or at least I think that's everything) - I'm planning to apply first thing and I'm really hoping to get into UMass Med (in-state) but I'm nervous about MCAT/GPA and could really use the help making a list

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your GPA is fine but your MCAT is a bit low for UMass. However, they are increasing class size by 25 students so that may help you. Other schools worth considering are:
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
GW
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Tulane
Vermont
Boston University
Tufts
Also apply to at least 6 DO schools as there is no guarantee of a MD acceptance with your MCAT scores. You are competitive for any DO school.

New York Medical College sounds like a good one from what I've heard.