3.71 GPA, MCAT 31Q... should I retake the test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigc1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 3.71 GPA and I just got a 31Q on my first MCAT test... I'm wondering if I should retake the test to be competitive enough in California schools (my state of residency). The breakdown was 10 VR, 11 PS, and 10 BS. I also have some decent extracurricular activities (including research experience). Is it worth the risk? I think I kinda got lucky in VR... I was typically scoring below 10 on practice tests but I have also gotten better scores in the sciences on those same practice tests. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

the general consensus is to NOT RETAKE an MCAT of 30+, you will get in somewhere with a good GPA, 30+ MCAT, and EC's

Hello,

I have a 3.71 GPA and I just got a 31Q on my first MCAT test... I'm wondering if I should retake the test to be competitive enough in California schools (my state of residency). The breakdown was 10 VR, 11 PS, and 10 BS. I also have some decent extracurricular activities (including research experience). Is it worth the risk? I think I kinda got lucky in VR... I was typically scoring below 10 on practice tests but I have also gotten better scores in the sciences on those same practice tests. Thanks!

Do not retake the MCAT in my opinion...especially since you think you got lucky in the VR (which has sunk a LOT of applications). Even if you think you can get a 12PS, 8VR, 12BS...it is still not worth it because the VR score would suck. You have a great balance.

I think your chances are about 92% as long as you can do well in your interviews and have interesting secondary applications that will make your "average" numbers stand out a little more.

Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I would definitely not take the risk of retaking. A balanced 31 is a good score that should get you in somewhere (although I am a little biased since we got the same score:p). Going up in the sciences and down in VR will not help your cause. just stick with this score, apply broadly, and I bet you'll get in somewhere!

deleted

Last edited:
What were your practice scores? If this was a fluke then i'd retake it. If you were solid around 31, i wouldnt waste the time. Go volunteer somewhere

I'm wondering if I should retake the test to be competitive enough in California schools (my state of residency).
People with way higher numbers than yours have not been able to get into a California school, and some with lower numbers have been accepted. I think your stats are fine, but I wouldn't bank on getting into a CA school, rather, on getting into a US MD school. Your stats are competitive, but like everyone else, you need to apply broadly. Your extracurriculars, LORs, and interview experience will determine how appealing you are to various schools