Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

3.71 Postbacc GPA, 3.3s/3.4cGPA, 506 MCAT Potential DO/MD Suggestions? Thank you!

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by BornSinner, Aug 18, 2015.

1. BornSinner

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Here's a really shortened list of my credentials. Really tired atm from the MCAT hooplah so struggled to go really in-depth lol.

Undergrad: Michigan w/ Neuroscience major
    Post-bacc: UPenn

Research
    Spent about a year working in a climatology/evolutionary genetics lab so far
    Also spent 3 years working in a neuromotor lab along with another genetics microarray analysis lab from undergrad

Shadowing
    I have about 100 hours shadowing neurologists, cardiac surgeons and liver/kidney transplant surgeons.

Nonclinical Volunteering
    Volunteered for 3 years in Detroit during ugrad. Made it onto the exec board for said group.
    Started my own diabetes fundraising group 2 years on campus that recently became partnered with JDRF.

Employment
    Part time employee at the same climatology/evolutionary genetics lab for the past year

I was wondering what my odds at MSUCOM, PCOM, LECOM, Rowan and Midwestern would be for DO. I think these are the usual suspects I see whenever researching DO schools... are there others I should add on here?

Is it even worth it for me to apply to MD schools? I have a family member who works at Cooper. I guess it's worth a shot applying there right? Would lower tier/newer schools like Commonwealth be worth it?

Any suggestions for DO and MD schools would be greatly appreciated! Oh and should I consider retaking the MCAT on the Sept 23rd date or just go with it? I'm conflicted.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just super flustered at the moment and at a crossroads with what to do for this application cycle now that I have gotten my July MCAT back.

Thanks!

#1 BornSinner, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  2. BornSinner

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
  3. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    No clinical volunteering???

I suggest forgoing MD schools.

4. BornSinner

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Oh forgot to mention that. Volunteered at HUP this past year while in the program on weekends. Tried my best to get a scribe position, but finding one was impossible. :(

5. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    You're fine for any DO program, and for MD, consider the Philly triplets, Loyola, Rush, SLU, MCW, Oakland B, Western MI, NYMC, Albany, Wake, Netter, and your state schools (but not U MI, if you're a MI resident).

6. BornSinner

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

Sweet thank you for the suggestions!