MD 3.71 sGPA, 3.69 cGPA, 509 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axf1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Since you are a MA resident you need to apply to many OOS private schools since the only MA state school (UMASS) does not have nearly the number of first year positions to accommodate all the qualified MA applicants. Other schools you can add include:
BU
Albany
NYMC
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton

Since you are a MA resident you need to apply to many OOS private schools since the only MA state school (UMASS) does not have nearly the number of first year positions to accommodate all the qualified MA applicants. Other schools you can add include:
BU
Albany
NYMC
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton

Thanks, I'll check those out. What when you say that there aren't enough "first year positions", are you referring to people coming right out of undergrad? Also, would you consider me one of the "qualified MA applicants" (even if there is a shortage of spots)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I'll check those out. What when you say that there aren't enough "first year positions", are you referring to people coming right out of undergrad? Also, would you consider me one of the "qualified MA applicants" (even if there is a shortage of spots)?

You have a good, well rounded list of ECs that shows dedication in many aspects. Your GPA is pretty average but good, and your MCAT is a under the national average for accepted students. I think you are a solid applicant for many low/mid tier schools - the ones faha listed. The thing is, you are not just a bit late. You will be very late when you app verifies at the end of September or early October, unfortunately :/ I'm afraid that may be the deciding factor for an admittance this year, as people are getting precious interview slots as we speak and some folks will be getting acceptances around the time your secondaries are complete at schools. Just be prepared to for reapplication - maintain that EC dedication.
If you apply broad and early (verified in July), you should have a shot at some schools.

In terms of UMASS, there will be a plethora of applicants with your GPA but with 33+ MCAT, and some research in addition to ECs similar to your own. The people coming off of undergrad won't matter. They need a 7 year residency for UMASS's requirement.

There are only 125 first year positions at UMASS and over 1,000 applicants from MA so many MA residents have to go to medical school out of state though it appears that Tufts and BU give some MA resident preference. You are a qualified applicant but there are hundreds of qualified applicants competing for only 125 positions.

You have a good, well rounded list of ECs that shows dedication in many aspects. Your GPA is pretty average but good, and your MCAT is a under the national average for accepted students. I think you are a solid applicant for many low/mid tier schools - the ones faha listed. The thing is, you are not just a bit late. You will be very late when you app verifies at the end of September or early October, unfortunately :/ I'm afraid that may be the deciding factor for an admittance this year, as people are getting precious interview slots as we speak and some folks will be getting acceptances around the time your secondaries are complete at schools. Just be prepared to for reapplication - maintain that EC dedication.
If you apply broad and early (verified in July), you should have a shot at some schools.

In terms of UMASS, there will be a plethora of applicants with your GPA but with 33+ MCAT, and some research in addition to ECs similar to your own. The people coming off of undergrad won't matter. They need a 7 year residency for UMASS's requirement.

I forgot to add this, but I have 2 full semesters of research: one in an organic chemistry lab and the other in a computational biology lab.

Also, do undergrad school and rigor of academic course load play a factor when considering GPA? I gave over pointed nearly every semester while keeping up with all my ECs, and have taken many additional upper level chemistry/biology courses beyond the med school pre requisites.

I forgot to add this, but I have 2 full semesters of research: one in an organic chemistry lab and the other in a computational biology lab.

Ya, but so does 85% of the general applicant pool. Do you have publications, significant contribution and leadership/management roles in those labs?

Also, do undergrad school and rigor of academic course load play a factor when considering GPA?

Only if you come from Harvard/Yale/Stanford/Princeton/MIT, and even then not enough to get you in alone.

yes your curriculum/academic work load will look good. Your GPA is good and your ECs are strong. Your MCAT won't get you in the door but won't hold you back either - for low/mid schools. You are a strong candidate that shows dedication and schools will know you will work hard. That's not the problem, the problem is how late your application will be. At the point that adcoms will be reviewing your application, there will be severely limited slots for interviews and the competition will rise from the normal 3.7/33 competitive stats and ECs. Schools get 5-14K applicants and extend 500-1000 interviews. By the time you get reviewed, more than half those will be gone. It's only an uphill battle.

If you cant get in this round, apply next year super early and you'll be fine!