3.72 cGPA 3.55 sGPA 31 MCAT (Would like some help!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCdude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Goro suggests:

New York Medical College
SUNY Downstate
Hofstra
Einstein
SUNY Stonybrook
Albany
Other SUNYs
Touro
NYCOM
Any other DO program
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
TCMC
Quinnipiac and all other new MD programs
Loyola
Rush
MCW
SLU
Wake Forest

Members don't see this ad :)
Goro suggests:

New York Medical College
SUNY Downstate
Hofstra
Einstein
SUNY Stonybrook
Albany
Other SUNYs
Touro
NYCOM
Any other DO program
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
TCMC
Quinnipiac and all other new MD programs
Loyola
Rush
MCW
SLU
Wake Forest
Thank you very much, Goro! Do you think I have a decent shot of staying in the city?

@Goro I had another question if you don't mind. Do you think my EC's are sufficient? Like I said, I had a shadowing gig all lined up and then I blew out my knee so I can't really travel far distances or stand too long.

Is there anything I can do in the meanwhile prior to the application? Thanks again! Much appreciated.

I think it would be a natural to ask to shadow your orthopedist! For non-clinical ECs, check with your local houses of worship. Reading to the elderly or children won't stress your knee.

I think it would be a natural to ask to shadow your orthopedist! For non-clinical ECs, check with your local houses of worship. Reading to the elderly or children won't stress your knee.
Gotcha. In case I'm unable to do anything extra, do you think my current EC's are at least average? Again, I appreciate your time and input.

I can't sugar coat it... I'm unimpressed with the non-clinical ECs. I've had students with organ transplants, lupus, nerve deafness, diabetes, asthma, liver disease, inflammatory bowel disease and other severe ailments, so if they could volunteer, so can you.

Gotcha. In case I'm unable to do anything extra, do you think my current EC's are at least average?

I can't sugar coat it... I'm unimpressed with the non-clinical ECs. I've had students with organ transplants, lupus, nerve deafness, diabetes, asthma, liver disease, inflammatory bowel disease and other severe ailments, so if they could volunteer, so can you.

Gotcha. In case I'm unable to do anything extra, do you think my current EC's are at least average?

Fair enough. I do still plan to do the volunteering (after I'm off crutches after surgery), it's just that it would be after I've actually submitted the AMCAS application. I wanted to get your thoughts as to whether my current set of EC's would hurt me when applying right now.

I would start before, you can't put it as a future activity, so I'd start ASAP.

Bumped this to ask a question.

My dad keeps pressing me to apply to NYU even though my stats would probably get laughed at.

Do I have even a miniscule chance at all? Like even maybe 0.01%? I don't wanna just throw money away but I also hear that you're supposed to have 1 or 2 reach schools.

Any input is appreciated.

Bumped this to ask a question.

My dad keeps pressing me to apply to NYU even though my stats would probably get laughed at.

Do I have even a miniscule chance at all? Like even maybe 0.01%? I don't wanna just throw money away but I also hear that you're supposed to have 1 or 2 reach schools.

Any input is appreciated.
Wasted $. Make him pay the donation.

Bump.

Is it worth it to apply to Georgetown seeing as their median MCAT is a 32, and/or George Washington? Thanks!

The real reason not to apply are the other 14K applicants to both of these!
By that line of reasoning, should anyone apply? Haha, there is this girl I know who got in with worse stats than me! So it's seeming kind of enticing! Also, thanks for responding! This input is world class! :D

By that line of reasoning, should anyone apply? Haha, there is this girl I know who got in with worse stats than me! So it's seeming kind of enticing! Also, thanks for responding! This input is world class! :D
Those two schools receive about twice the number of applications as other private schools. By my accounting that reduces your odds of an interview by half. Some applicants have reason to believe that they might have a better shot (Catholic school for GT..).

Thanks gyngyn! I wonder why they get so many applications in particular.