Quantcast

MD 3.72 Cgpa, 3.67 BCPM, 29 old MCAT, 516 New MCAT. Third time reap!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedReap123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My current "easier" (according to the Wedgedawg list) schools that I am considering:

The 4 SUNYS
Albany
St. Louis
VCU
Florida Atlantic
TCMC
Rosalind
V. Tech
Quinnipiac
Cooper
MC of Wisconsin
Hofstra
Oakland
U of Cincinnati
Wayne St.
USF
(I have applied to all of these once or twice already besides Virginia Tech and the last 3 listed)

"Low Yield" schools I am considering:
Temple
Penn
Jefferson
Tufts
Tulane
(have applied previously to all of these)

"medium" level schools I am considering:
Wake Forest
Rochester
University of Iowa
University of Virginia
Miami
Ohio State
Dartmouth
(previously have applied once to U of Iowa and Rochester)

This totals to a lot of schools. Not sure how many I want to actually apply to, whether it's less or more. I would like to just apply to schools I have a decent shot at.
Any school that either stats wise or EC wise definitely wont take me I would like to take off the list!

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post and offer advice/ suggestions! I wouldn't have made it this far without SDN.

EDIT: I want to add that I do not have a non-science LOR. Many schools like East Virginia, Creighton, Florida International and NYMC require a non science letter so I cannot apply to them.

Current list of schools already added to AMCAS:
The SUNYs- easy
Hofstra - easy
Albany - easy
Rochester- mid
Einstein - mid
St. Louis - easy
VCU -easy
U. of Iowa -mid
Dartmouth -mid
Ohio State- mid
Wake Forest -mid
Miami -mid
(easy, medium, low yield, etc. classifications are all based on the Wedgedawg applicant rating system school lists)

Last edited:

Faha

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Your "easier" and "low yield" schools are reasonable choices. You could add schools such as:
Vermont
Drexel
Jefferson
Einstein
Rochester
Western Michigan
Creighton
Eastern Virginia
GW
Georgetown
Miami

Reactions: 1 user

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
You ideally want more OOS schools where you arent a reapplicant at(particularly those you applied twice to)

Einstein Creighton Jefferson(they average scores) and Miami are fine from the list above. Apply to the SUNYs, NYMC and Albany again. In terms of schools you havent applied to yet, Ohio ST and Rochester are solid. Dartmouth is ok.

Cincinnati and Loyola are worth a look as well(both tend to average though). Penn St, Wayne St and USF(hear they average though also) might also be worth a look if you havent applied before although they arent the greatest choices.

There arent that many OOS schools I particularly recommend a 3rd application for if youve already struck out twice. Make sure to see if those types you consider even consider 3rd time applicants(a number of schools dont)

Last edited:

PreMedReap123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
You ideally want more OOS schools where you arent a reapplicant at(particularly those you applied twice to)

Einstein Creighton Jefferson(they average scores) and Miami are fine from the list above. Apply to the SUNYs, NYMC and Albany again. In terms of schools you havent applied to yet, Ohio ST and Rochester are solid. Dartmouth is ok.

Cincinnati and Loyola are worth a look as well(both tend to average though). Penn St, Wayne St and USF might also be worth a look if you havent applied before although they arent the greatest choices.

There arent that many OOS schools I particularly recommend a 3rd application for if youve already struck out twice. Make sure to see if those types you consider even consider 3rd time applicants(a number of schools dont)

Okay thank you for the advice. I will have to take a look at Cincinnati Wayne St. and USF since this is the first time they are even on my radar. Penn state I've already applied to previously. I haven't been interested in Loyola due to the religious aspects that I have heard about.

There aren't too many schools that I have applied twice to besides Penn state, SUNYs, Albany, Temple, George Washington, Rush and maybe a couple others. I will have to look into their 3rd time applicant policies. Do you think being a second time applicant to a lot of the OOS schools will hurt me a lot? I suppose it varies school to school. Also, last cycle I interviewed at West Virginia. Is it worth applying there again? I'm unsure if previously interviewing and then being rejected means that I have permanently closed that door or that I have a good chance to interview again. Thoughts?

PreMedReap123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Cincinnati and Loyola are worth a look as well(both tend to average though). Penn St, Wayne St and USF might also be worth a look if you havent applied before although they arent the greatest choices.

Also what school do you mean by USF? When I google it I get University of south Florida but there is no U of south Florida listed on the MSAR. Is that just University of Florida? Or University of Central Florida?

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Also what school do you mean by USF? When I google it I get University of south Florida but there is no U of south Florida listed on the MSAR. Is that just University of Florida? Or University of Central Florida?

South Florida

PreMedReap123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've edited in my current list of schools that I've already added to AMCAS, so now I just need to build off of that. As of now it looks heavy on the relatively more competitive schools that I haven't applied to before, so I need to figure out how to pick through all of the OOS "easy" schools that are left. Also maybe I should add more reach schools? I don't know. @Goro @gyngyn You guys are always very helpful on these threads from what I've seen, do you have any additional advice or suggestions?

Last edited:

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Of you list above, I recommend:

The 4 SUNYS
Albany
St. Louis
VCU
Rosalind
Quinnipiac
MC of Wisconsin
Hofstra
Oakland
Temple
Jefferson
Tufts
Tulane
Wake Forest
Rochester
Miami

ADD:
U VM
EVMS
Drexel
Gtown
GWU
NYMC
Rush (if you have lots of service)
Any DO school, starting with NYITCOM, UNECOM and PCOM. Skip Touro-NY and LUCOM

PreMedReap123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Of you list above, I recommend:

The 4 SUNYS
Albany
St. Louis
VCU
Rosalind
Quinnipiac
MC of Wisconsin
Hofstra
Oakland
Temple
Jefferson
Tufts
Tulane
Wake Forest
Rochester
Miami

ADD:
U VM
EVMS
Drexel
Gtown
GWU
NYMC
Rush (if you have lots of service)
Any DO school, starting with NYITCOM, UNECOM and PCOM. Skip Touro-NY and LUCOM

Thank you for the help! I do have one question. Since I previously interviewed at West Virginia, would it be worth it to reapply there or is that door likely closed?