3.72 cGPA 511 MCAT, MD or DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr1dr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My cum GPA is a 3.72, BCPM is around 3.55
Took the MCAT twice: 507 - 125, 129, 127, 126
508 - 127, 126, 127, 128
taking the highest score it would be: 511 - 127, 129, 127, 128
I am a CT resident and would love to go UConn
I have shadowed and volunteered in a medical and non medical setting, many leadership positions, have done research in 3 labs and have been on 6 posters, and am taking a gap year to work and do more research.

What are my chances? If I get my application in as early as possible do I have chances for low tier schools or should I apply for DO schools instead??

Members don't see this ad.

My cum GPA is a 3.72, BCPM is around 3.55
Took the MCAT twice: 507 - 125, 129, 127, 126
508 - 127, 126, 127, 128
taking the highest score it would be: 511 - 127, 129, 127, 128
I am a CT resident and would love to go UConn
I have shadowed and volunteered in a medical and non medical setting, many leadership positions, have done research in 3 labs and have been on 6 posters, and am taking a gap year to work and do more research.

What are my chances? If I get my application in as early as possible do I have chances for low tier schools or should I apply for DO schools instead??
Very few school cherry pick scores this way (e.g.Vandy).
The AAMC recommends averaging multiple scores.
You can consider schools with a median of 30 to be targets.

Reactions: 1 users
Schools will see you as basically having a 508. Honestly if you really wanted to then you could skip DO this cycle and see how MD turns out because you are good for any DO school. I would apply broadly to MD and if you don't get any II or acceptances then apply DO next cycle

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much! My current list for MD schools is below, obviously I need to narrow it down so any that you think I should add/remove?

Albany Medical College
Central Michigan U. COM
Chicago Medical School
Creighton University SOM
Drexel
Florida International
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Hofstra
Indiana University
Loyola Chicago
New York Medical College
Pennsylvania State COM
Rush Medical College
SLU
Commonwealth medical college
Tulane
UConn
Virginia Tech
Western Michigan
Eastern Virginia University
UVM
California Northstate
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of North Dakota SOM

Thank you so much! My current list for MD schools is below, obviously I need to narrow it down so any that you think I should add/remove?

Albany Medical College
Central Michigan U. COM
Chicago Medical School
Creighton University SOM
Drexel
Florida International
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Hofstra
Indiana University
Loyola Chicago
New York Medical College
Pennsylvania State COM
Rush Medical College
SLU
Commonwealth medical college
Tulane
UConn
Virginia Tech
Western Michigan
Eastern Virginia University
UVM
California Northstate
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of North Dakota SOM

For sure get rid of the bolded. I think EVU and FIU are very biased toward in state so you might want to get rid of those if that is true. I would also add Oakland Beaumont. @Faha should be able to help you more, I am not as familiar with the MD side of things.

You have approximately a 2/3 chance for a MD acceptance with your stats unless you are URM. From your list you can remove Central Michigan, Florida International, North Dakota and Indiana since you are not a resident of those states. If your Chicago Medical is Rosalind Franklin then that is fine. Otherwise your list is good. You could add:
Temple
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Roseman (new school accepting applicants this year at some point)
I recommend applying to at least 8 DO schools and you are competitive for any DO school.

Reactions: 1 user
Very few school cherry pick scores this way (e.g.Vandy).
The AAMC recommends averaging multiple scores.
You can consider schools with a median of 30 to be targets.

How would that averaging policy work with an applicant who took both the old and new exam -just average the percentiles? Because I think I remember reading somewhere that AAMC recommends that schools who have applicants in that situation to not average them since they're different and, instead, consider the new one, mostly. Does that sound right, or am I completely wrong?

How would that averaging policy work with an applicant who took both the old and new exam -just average the percentiles? Because I think I remember reading somewhere that AAMC recommends that schools who have applicants in that situation to not average them since they're different and, instead, consider the new one, mostly. Does that sound right, or am I completely wrong?
Some will average percentiles. Others will just come to their own conclusions.
This is the hazard of multiple tests. There really is no way to predict how they will be interpreted by individual examiners.