3.73 cGPA, 3.43 sGPA, 501 MCAT (124/127/124/126) -- Should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medapp17

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. Received my MCAT score back and its lower than I expected based on practice exams.
I'm concerned if I have a good chance with this cycle. I would be willing to retake in July but am not sure I would be able to raise it within the month given FT job and other responsibilities. Should I wait until next year or should I take the chance with my current scores?
Hoping to go into primary care (pediatrics) and maybe double certification for emergency medicine
I'm 80% done with my AACOMAS application, so aside from potentially inputting a new MCAT score, I'm ahead of the schedule. Also have a letter from a DO ED physician.

Profile for reference:
- East Asian American, low-income, currently in NY
- Graduated from a well-known liberal arts college
- Double major in biology and foreign language studies
- 3.73 cGPA, 3.43 sGPA (B+ average in science courses... :/)
- ECs: leadership in multicultural center x3 years, tutoring ESL students, mentorship for first-generation/low-income students, TA chemistry lab and language studies x2 years, internship at community health center (created a sustainable health education project), hospital volunteer (~60 hours)
- No research experience except through science courses
- Shadowing: 25 hours primary care and 1000+ hours in emergency department through my job
- Currently working as a ED scribe

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

CARS is solid, if you feel like you can reproduce that then the CP, BB, are easily improved. You are either going to be low end DO this cycle or average MD (hopefully) next cycle.

What were you scoring on your practice exams? Were they the AAMC FL? do you think its attributed to test anxiety? I personally think you still have a shot this cycle. Apply early and apply to a handful of new schools. If you are gonna wait to apply next year I say don't rush your MCAT retake, work hard on studying for it, take it in August-September and you might even be able to Apply MD (especially in state school).Thats enough time to get your score to a 508+ IMO since bringing up Bio and Psych (mainly memorizing definitions) is very possible. Not to mention, the DO cycle goes on for a long time so that score could even help you get in this year. Solid CARS score which is good since a lot people struggle with this.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Retake your MCAT and do well on it. Then apply MD next cycle.

Hi, everyone. Received my MCAT score back and its lower than I expected based on practice exams.
I'm concerned if I have a good chance with this cycle. I would be willing to retake in July but am not sure I would be able to raise it within the month given FT job and other responsibilities. Should I wait until next year or should I take the chance with my current scores?
Hoping to go into primary care (pediatrics) and maybe double certification for emergency medicine
I'm 80% done with my AACOMAS application, so aside from potentially inputting a new MCAT score, I'm ahead of the schedule. Also have a letter from a DO ED physician.

Profile for reference:
- East Asian American, low-income, currently in NY
- Graduated from a well-known liberal arts college
- Double major in biology and foreign language studies
- 3.73 cGPA, 3.43 sGPA (B+ average in science courses... :/)
- ECs: leadership in multicultural center x3 years, tutoring ESL students, mentorship for first-generation/low-income students, TA chemistry lab and language studies x2 years, internship at community health center (created a sustainable health education project), hospital volunteer (~60 hours)
- No research experience except through science courses
- Shadowing: 25 hours primary care and 1000+ hours in emergency department through my job
- Currently working as a ED scribe

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!
Apply broadly and you should be fine. Avoid the four on my ****list, though.

What were you scoring on your practice exams? Were they the AAMC FL? do you think its attributed to test anxiety? I personally think you still have a shot this cycle. Apply early and apply to a handful of new schools. If you are gonna wait to apply next year I say don't rush your MCAT retake, work hard on studying for it, take it in August-September and you might even be able to Apply MD (especially in state school).Thats enough time to get your score to a 508+ IMO since bringing up Bio and Psych (mainly memorizing definitions) is very possible. Not to mention, the DO cycle goes on for a long time so that score could even help you get in this year. Solid CARS score which is good since a lot people struggle with this.

I was scoring 508-510 towards the end on the AAMC FLs. I wasn't particularly anxious that day, and thought the test was hard, but nothing out of the world compared to the practice exams. I'm not sure what exactly happened that day, so can only study harder and better and hope to improve the next time.

Would you recommend applying this cycle with an improved score (hopefully) this August vs just applying next year altogether? Thank you!

Apply broadly and you should be fine. Avoid the four on my ****list, though.

Hi @Goro. Always appreciate your advice! And I've read your list/done my own research. Will definitely keep that in mind.
If I apply broadly this year, should I still retake though? My concern is I don't know if I can raise the score, which sounds silly but it's what I've been grappling with. Thank you!