MD 3.73 cGPA, 3.84 sGPA, 36 mcat schools list/chance me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

balla121

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! adding more schools

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
List is too top heavy. Your numbers are good for these schools and your ECs are great (and it is good you have extensive research), but you need a more balanced list. The 8V is not helping, the 3.7 is in range but on the low side for many of these schools; I hope you're able to raise the verbal and keep the overall MCAT score high as well.

If money isn't a problem then keep whatever reaches you want, but you want to add some more mid-tiers and more (if not all) of your state schools in Florida.

Reactions: 1 users
Apply to more schools in the 20-50 range on USNWP. List is too top heavy right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are top-heavy. We don't interview applicants who re-take a 36, but you should have luck if you apply to all the MI schools.

Wait, really? No interviews for people who re-take those kinds of scores at all?

That's right, unless they've "expired."

That's interesting. On one hand I can see it being foolish to retake a 36, but are there any exceptions (such as a low verbal score in the case of OP)? I never knew it was this much of a deal breaker.

If you could expand upon this a little I'd appreciate it.

You are top-heavy. We don't interview applicants who re-take a 36, but you should have luck if you apply to all the MI schools.

What if I have valid reasoning to back up my retake? Would that make any difference?

Welcome back man!
What if I have valid reasoning to back up my retake? Would that make any difference?
Presumably they will only hear this reasoning if you've stated it somewhere, since they wouldn't interview you. I personally share the sentiment (as someone who's only taken the MCAT once) that such an attitude is ridiculous, and hope for your sake it is not prevalent.

Welcome back man!

Presumably they will only hear this reasoning if you've stated it somewhere, since they wouldn't interview you. I personally share the sentiment (as someone who's only taken the MCAT once) that such an attitude is ridiculous, and hope for your sake it is not prevalent.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I guess I just have to hope that my retake score was a lot better and I'll have to add a bunch more schools between 25-50 to negate the effect of schools that look down upon 36+ retakers. I can understand why they would choose to have such a policy though. With so many competitive applicants applying to each medical school, it does not significantly hurt a medical school's ability to create a very talented entering class by rejecting high mcat retakers. I just wish I was given the opportunity to explain my special circumstances though...

That's interesting. On one hand I can see it being foolish to retake a 36, but are there any exceptions (such as a low verbal score in the case of OP)? I never knew it was this much of a deal breaker.

If you could expand upon this a little I'd appreciate it.
We have found that some of the personal characteristics in this pool of candidates are not what we are looking for. This is an observation, not a policy.

In context, his 8 verbal is fine.

Last edited by a moderator: