3.75 cGPA 3.73 sGPA 515 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iqq2much

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am a current senior and planning to apply during the 2017 app cycle and was hoping for some advice.
My main concerns are meh EC's and the falling GPA mostly due to getting cocky and complacent. Gonna try to push my GPA up this year.

My stats
cGPA = 3.75 (Freshman 3.81, Sophmore 3.72, Junior 3.66)
sGPA = 3.73 (Freshman 3.87, Sophmore 3.74, Junior 3.55)
MCAT 514 (130, 126, 129, 129) Typo on Title this is my actual score
WA State Resident, ORM Asian (Vietnamese)
Went to University of Wash - large public school for undergrad majored in Neurobiology and Biochem

EC's
Planning to take a gap year because my EC's aren't really the best. Thinking about medical scribing or research not sure yet.

Shadowing (90 hours Primary care with MD and DO's the majority in rural areas (80 hrs), 50 hours Radiology)

Clinical Exp-Local Hospital (300 hours total, 120 hrs in the Emergency Room)

Non Clinical Volunteering - Volunteering at a religious education program at local Vietnamese Church (500+ hours) I have been doing this since junior year of high school.

Research Experience - I had an internship at a hospital doing clinical research with Radiology. Spent 3 months (40 hours/week) looking through patient charts/data analysis for the project. Made a poster and abstract for a research symposium at the end of the internship. Attempted to publish (not first author) but got rejected. We are submitting again in a few months.

Other EC's: I am involved in a Student Organization that sets up shadowing experiences for pre-health students in rural areas. I worked with the organization to find clinics, housing and volunteer projects for students during their trip.

Honors/Awards: Phi Beta Kappa (inducted at end of junior year. Annual Deans' List Freshman and Sophmore year. Dean's list for 2/3 quarters Junior year

School List (Rough List)
University of Washington (State school)
Washington State University (New State School)
Albany
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
Georgetown
Uniformed Services
Keck
New York
Howard
Jefferson
Drexel
Penn State
(Was considering adding DO schools, but I want to try MD only for my first app cycle is this fine with my stats?)

Members don't see this ad.

You can delete Howard since you are not URM. Otherwise your list is good and appropriate for your stats. You could add a few more schools such as:
Jefferson
GW
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Quinnipiac

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest:

U VM

USF Morsani (maybe)
UCF (maybe)
Duke (maybe)
Case (maybe)
Mayo (maybe)
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Rosy Franklin
BU
MCW
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Emory
USC/Keck
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Oakland B
Western MI

Your state school(s).

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, LUCOM or Wm Carey, for different reasons. Start list with PacNW and the two CA schools, plus Western-OR.

Hello I am a current senior and planning to apply during the 2017 app cycle and was hoping for some advice.
My main concerns are meh EC's and the falling GPA mostly due to getting cocky and complacent. Gonna try to push my GPA up this year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot for replying and giving out some pointers on my school list. Are there any glaring weaknesses in my EC's that should work on specifically during my gap year(s)?

I think your EC"s are fine, you have plenty of shadowing and volunteering in a clinical setting. I don't thin you need much more to demonstrate that you want to become a doctor. Go ahead and apply to all those schools,

I would be a bit worried about the dip during your junior year. Try to have a strong showing for the last grading period. You mentioned that you missed Dean's during one quarter... how bad was that quarter?

I would be a bit worried about the dip during your junior year. Try to have a strong showing for the last grading period. You mentioned that you missed Dean's during one quarter... how bad was that quarter?

That quarter I took
Intro to Biochemistry 2 : 3.6
Physical Chemistry for Biochemists: 4.0
Architecture: 3.7
Introduction to Neurobiology : 2.6 (B- according to my school)

This 2.6 pretty much tanked my GPA that quarter since it was 5 credits compared to everything else which was 3 credits. This was the only grade that was not 3.5+ (A- or above) during my junior year.

Last edited: