3.75 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA, 29 MCAT Weak ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedona

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, sorry if this is the wrong section but I feel I'd get more responses here.

Graduated in 2011 with a bachelors in Biology
cGPA: 3.75
sGPA: 3.8
MCAT: 29

Been contemplating med school since my undergrad years but I had loans to pay off first. 6 months ago, bite the bullet and quit my job to start building my ECs. Since January 2013, I have accumulated about 70 hours in the ER, shadowed three MDs for about 100 hours total, got a FT job as a lab tech, and volunteer at a senior care home. I plan to continue volunteering and will send updates throughout the cycle. During my undergrad years, I volunteered at a free dental clinic for a summer, was on the student council, and spent many years teaching children gymnastics (leadership?). I worked 20+ hours/week for all fours years of college.

I don't want the adcomms to think that I'm just going through the motions. What do you guys think? Do I have a chance this cycle? What can I do to improve my chances? I'm working on finding a DO in my area.

24 yr old Asian female if that's important.

Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you'll be fine for any DO program, and some of the low-tier MD schools. So quit fussing and start applying!

Hi everyone, sorry if this is the wrong section but I feel I'd get more responses here.

Been contemplating med school since my undergrad years but I had loans to pay off first. 6 months ago, bite the bullet and quit my job to start building my ECs. Since January 2013, I have accumulated about 70 hours in the ER, shadowed three MDs for about 100 hours total, got a FT job as a lab tech, and volunteer at a senior care home. I plan to continue volunteering and will send updates throughout the cycle. During my undergrad years, I volunteered at a free dental clinic for a summer, was on the student council, and spent many years teaching children gymnastics (leadership?). I worked 20+ hours/week for all fours years of college.

I don't want the adcomms to think that I'm just going through the motions. What do you guys think? Do I have a chance this cycle? What can I do to improve my chances? I'm working on finding a DO in my area.

I think you'll be fine for any DO program, and some of the low-tier MD schools. So quit fussing and start applying!

haha alright thanks. It's too much money to apply MD and DO without asking first!

Members don't see this ad :)
since you got a 29 mcat you should apply to ucla

A huge mistake you can make is applying late. Your plan sounds solid to me though.

These aren't weak ECs