Sep 24, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello

I have worked on my school list and would like any help with adding or deleting schools as well as any other input in regards to things I can improve in the next 6 months till I apply. Thank you for your help.

I am a non-URM NY resident student at an Ivy League university.

Stats

3.76 cumulative, 3.80 science
42 MCAT (14, 14, 14)

LORs

1 letter from non-science professor who knows me since this fall semester and I will take another class with him in spring. I was a good participant in his class and worked to develop a good rapport with him

1 letter from PI (science) who seems to like me and should know me quite well by the time I ask him

And, a work in progress, 1 letter from a science professor who I will have to get to know this upcoming semester through office hours

So the LOR writers will only have known me from this fall semester / spring semester even though I'm a junior. the reason for this is because I just transferred schools.

Research

I just started working in a lab this fall semester. I am the only undergrad on the team with my PI and another postdoc so it is very busy (more than 15 hours a week) and I expect that I will really get to know my PI very well. I do not expect any publications or presentations before I apply. When I submit AMCAS in June I would have about 7 months of research experience.

Non Clinical Extracurriculars

After school volunteer since October - I'm not sure about the hours because I have to check my log since it was done on and off
SAT tutor in upcoming spring semester - 5 hour/wk commitment
Officer for community health club at my old school (2 years), 2 hours a week
Former member of an aviation club, took flight lessons and ground school during freshman year (~ 1 hour a week)
Student Conduct Board member (appointed by school's Provost) for freshman year

Clinical Extracurriculars
Volunteer EMS (EMT / Driver) since Summer 2011 - not sure about hours.. definitely at least 200 - 300 but will confirm with an Officer soon. I could only do this on breaks because it wasn't at school.

Shadowing
4 hours with Emergency Physician (does it count if I forgot his name? this was in high school)
9 hours with Allergist
40+ hours with Pulmonologist/Intensivist (I am doing this right now and am very lucky to shadow him for as many days as I would like over this winter break. I am going to aim for at least 40 and shoot for more)
1 day of shadowing with a family medicine doctor (planned)
I can get time with a Pathologist too.

Red flags
2 alcohol violations: 1 from first weekend freshman year, 1 from first weekend junior year. Thankfully these were both school Code of Conduct violations (rather than tickets that were handled in court) I understand that I made bad decisions but I do believe that I can explain how I have grown since both of these experiences. The Student Conduct Board is something I applied for and joined after my first incident (I say this in case anyone thought that would look hypocritical to be on the board while getting violations)
So to recap, any input to either the school list or to any changes I can make over the next few months would be greatly appreciated. I understand that there are definitely contrasting strengths and weaknesses in my application, but I am very eager to get started with my medical education rather than take a gap year.

--- School List --- (I do have the MSAR but I basically just added at schools that are close to the NYC area to preferably stay close to family and SO. I would definitely consider any additions that you would like to make, though)

SUNY Downstate
SUNY Stony Brook
Hofstra
Cornell
Albert Einstein
Columbia
NYU
Mt. Sinai
Rutgers
NYMC

Thank you for your help.
NV

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
one alcohol violation does next to nothing, but two might be problematic since it suggests a pattern. but even then, your stats and ECs are all fantastic.

however, i would add many more schools to your list.

karayaa

5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2012
Status
Medical Student
What are you looking for in a school?
If you want to stay close to home, looks like you already have your list.
Are the upstate schools too far?

It might be good to shadow a primary care doc, someone with a community based practice, because your major shadowing right now is hospital-based.

Great numbers, but try to get some clinical volunteer experience that lets you interface with doctors (free clinics etc)

OP
NVdisG
Sep 24, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
What are you looking for in a school?
If you want to stay close to home, looks like you already have your list.
Are the upstate schools too far?
You're right, I basically have added every school that is close to home. I guess I would like to have know about what people think of my school list and how its most likely too top heavy. P/F schools in the Northeast would be great.

It might be good to shadow a primary care doc, someone with a community based practice, because your major shadowing right now is hospital-based.
That's right, I forgot to mention I will be shadowing an FM doc in a few weeks.

nemo123

5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2011
Status
Medical Student
While your numbers are great, your ECs are little bit thin. Almost everything was started this year, with the except of your aviation club (although you're a former member?), your EMS activity, and your conduct board stuff. If possible, you might able to maximize your app if you take another year off to bulk up your ECs a little bit (since if you apply the next cycle, most of the ECs on your app will be <1 year in length) and try to get a poster or abstract out of your research.

As for an IA, although an alcohol violation isn't a big deal to med schools, getting an IA a second time for the same thing might raise a few questions with the adcom (but since it's with alcohol it might be okay). I don't know. We need some expert opinions on here... @LizzyM @gyngyn

Reactions: smarts1
Apr 17, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
did you first get a violation, joined the conduct board, and then got your second violation after joining?

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
I would not expect this to preclude admission. Consider adding the private med schools in the New Haven area ;) Would you consider Philly close enough?? Plenty of schools there, too, to add to your list. Ideally, you should have at least 15.

Apr 23, 2013
Status
Medical Student
IMO strike NYMC and add other SUNYs (even though they're not in NYC) and all the schools in Philly. NYMC will take your money, assume you aren't going to go there because of your high stats, put you on hold, and wait for your to withdraw when you get an acceptance somewhere else. Maybe it would play out otherwise if you specifically wrote them a letter about your geographic preference, but they very clearly ignore applicants who they think will go elsewhere based on stats and ECs.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Strongly concur. A violation as a junior suggests you didn't learn your lesson. You will probably have to address this at interviews, and how badly it will affect your acceptance will lie in how you address the issue.

But, at least they weren't DUIs. If they were, I'd say your medical career would be over.

Suggest adding all NY schools, plus those around the greater metro NY area.

one alcohol violation does next to nothing, but two might be problematic since it suggests a pattern. but even then, your stats and ECs are all fantastic.

however, i would add many more schools to your list.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
My learned colleague's comment highlights the pickle you're in. Some people believe in the power of redemption, others are hardasses and say "why should this guy/gal get a chance when we have applicants who never made these mistakes?"

I suspect that you're just going to have to take this one on the chin and see how it turns out.

Two IA's for the same behavior usually results in a waitlist where I am (even with delicious stats).

Apr 17, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Strongly concur. A violation as a junior suggests you didn't learn your lesson. You will probably have to address this at interviews, and how badly it will affect your acceptance will lie in how you address the issue.

But, at least they weren't DUIs. If they were, I'd say your medical career would be over.

Suggest adding all NY schools, plus those around the greater metro NY area.
why do we agree on so many things, Goro??

anyways, to the OP, i would add to 3o schools in order to compensate for the effect of a double IA. i understand that you want to stay in one geographic area, but i still strongly urge you to add more schools.

Reactions: Goro