MD 3.76cGPA, 3.87sGPA, 29 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MouseMaestro

OMS-2
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All-

Just wanted to know my chances for MD schools.
My stats are:

NY resident
3.76 cGPA
3.87 sGPA

26 (10PS, 06VR, 10BS) ---First time I took the MCAT
29 (10PS, 07VR, 12BS)---Second time

My shadowing,volunteering, and EC's are pretty average, with the exception that I completed my undergraduate degree in three years, and am doing research at Harvard Medical School. I only have a few abstracts from my research, but should have at least one publication in a month or so. Just wanted to get some opinions on how bad that 7VR will hurt my chances especially since I applied late (10/18 AMCAS verified).

Applied to:
1.) Albany Medical College
2.) Albert Einstein College of Medicine
3.) Boston University School of Medicine
4.) Drexel University College of Medicine
5.) Florida State University
6.) Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine
7.) Medical University of South Carolina
8.) Mount Sinai School of Medicine
9.) New York Medical College
10.) Quinnipiac University SOM
11.) Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
12.) SUNY Upstate Medical University
13.) SUNY at Buffalo Medical School
14.) State University of New York Downstate Medical Center
15.) Stony Brook University School of Medicine
16.) University of Colorado School of Medicine
17.) University of Rochester School of Medicine
18.) University of South Carolina School of Medicine-Columbia
19.) University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Greenville
20.) George Washington School of Medicine
21.) Cooper University School of Medicine at Rowan

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
GPA, ECs, and 3-yr degree seems great. MCAT bringing you down though. Research at HMS is strong. I think you should get some, just sit back and wait.

Sorry, but I doubt BU will give you much love. I recently got pre-interview rejection from them (with 3.98c, 4.00s, 37Q). I hear they have 100 apps per spot. :/

GPA, ECs, and 3-yr degree seems great. MCAT bringing you down though. Research at HMS is strong. I think you should get some, just sit back and wait.

Sorry, but I doubt BU will give you much love. I recently got pre-interview rejection from them (with 3.98c, 4.00s, 37Q). I hear they have 100 apps per spot. :/
Thanks for your reply! Yea, BU was more of a reach school for me anyway. I'm shocked they didn't even give you an interview with your stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha. Yeah, I actually talked to a guy who got an HMS interview invite (!!!!!!) but got rejected pre-interview at BU.

The 7VR is going to hurt you. That's circling the drain territory for most medical schools. And your < avg MCAT scores are too low for OOS public schools, which favor the home team. For those, you need to be above avg. Do your homework; Rutgers hardly accept OOS applicants (2/40 interviews from >2000 applicants).

I think your chances will be best at the below, with my comments in (). If you're shut out this year, don't retake the MCAT, just apply to DO schools and you'll be fine. You have three in your home state to pick from too.
Applied to:

12.) SUNY Upstate Medical University (maybe)

13.) SUNY at Buffalo Medical School (maybe)
15.) Stony Brook University School of Medicine (maybe)
20.) George Washington School of Medicine (maybe)
21.) Cooper University School of Medicine at Rowan (not likely)

Thanks![/quote]

The 7VR is going to hurt you. That's circling the drain territory for most medical schools. And your < avg MCAT scores are too low for OOS public schools, which favor the home team. For those, you need to be above avg. Do your homework; Rutgers hardly accept OOS applicants (2/40 interviews from >2000 applicants).

I think your chances will be best at the below, with my comments in (). If you're shut out this year, don't retake the MCAT, just apply to DO schools and you'll be fine. You have three in your home state to pick from too.
Applied to:

12.) SUNY Upstate Medical University (maybe)

13.) SUNY at Buffalo Medical School (maybe)
15.) Stony Brook University School of Medicine (maybe)
20.) George Washington School of Medicine (maybe)
21.) Cooper University School of Medicine at Rowan (not likely)

Thanks!
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I was planning to go the route you suggested if it doesn't work out this cycle.

suggest applying DO this year as a possible backup option. it isn't that late for DO (unless you are interviewing march or later)

Maybe if it was still October he could hurry up and submit AACOMAS. Its almost December. Even if he submitted next week, he likely wouldn't be complete at schools till late January due to xmas break.

OP your VR score and late application are your biggest problems. If you don't get in anywhere this cycle, work on bringing up that verbal and apply as early as possible in June. In addition, continue to beef up your ECs and apply to both MD and DO schools.