3.76GPA/3.92sGPA/508 MCAT - Please help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Winifred

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

So, I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me advice, hope, condolences, etcetera concerning my application cycle.

I have a 3.76 overall GPA and a 3.92 science GPA as a biochemistry major at a state school. I’m a returning student with a large gap in my undergraduate academic record. I had a 4.0 returning GPA, so I guess that’s a strong upward trend. This is a career change for me. I’ve worked in the service industry for many years.

I have a 508 MCAT (128/128/126/126) for 77th percentile overall. I took the MCAT last year, but bombed it even though I had been doing very well on the practice exams, so I also have a 26 on my application (an even spread).

I’m not URM, but I come from a disadvantaged background and had an extremely unusual upbringing. I have very diverse extracurriculars with the highlights including being vice-president of a club at school, volunteering with kids and at a community center (more than 200 hours combined), work on a project at NASA, about 1000 hours as an ED scribe, 2 years research (no publications), and extensive time spent abroad. This is obviously subjective, but I believe I have a strong personal statement. My LOR’s are from people who know me very well.

I submitted my primary not long after the cycle opened up and have applied to both my state schools as well as:

University of Vermont
Medical College of Wisconsin
Loyola
Oakland William Beaumont
Virginia Commonwealth (secondary received in July)
Cooper Rowan
U of Cincinnati
U of Pittsburgh
U of Louisville
Meharry

And several reach schools:
Dartmouth (I heard they like non-traditional students)
UCLA (secondary received in July)
UCSD (secondary received in July)
UC Irvine (secondary received in July)

I am hoping to work with disadvantaged, inner-city populations.

Anyway, I’m starting to get very nervous because I only have only been invited for one interview (at one of my state schools). All the other schools have been completely silent post secondary submission. I know I’m nowhere near being a top-of-the-pile applicant, but I really thought I would have had some news by now. Do I need to just be patient and keep waiting? I know it’s late in the cycle now, but should I submit to any other schools? Am I totally screwed?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Not URM, so Meharry was a waste. You applied to WAY too many state schools. Pitt was a waste too with your MCAT.
You should have invested in the MSAR and applied way more broadly, as I honestly don't think this list is gonna do it.

Should have considered (especially if you're interested in working with inner city populations):
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
Rush
George Washington

But also:
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Penn State
Quinnipiac
Albany
Eastern Virginia

Reactions: 1 user
It'd help if we know your state

Your GPA is fine but with a 26 on your record and now a 30 as mentioned above your list needs to be re-done. If your primary is in add some more secondaries to realistic schools. Because out of your list here are the only schools I think you are competitive for unless you are IS for a school like Louisville or Cooper Rowan.

Vermont
MCW
Loyola
Oakland
VCU

5 realistic schools is not a lot. The list ciestar has is good. I would definitely recommend adding 6-10 from that list or NYMC, WVU and a couple other lower tiers like Eastern Virginia as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 508 is roughly 29-30. Cincinnati, Pittsburgh are long shots...and by long shots I mean you probably shouldn't have applied to these and replaced with mid-tiers. Where is Rush? Quinnipiac? VCU? New York schools? Your list is very shallow. Your ECs are great, but your old MCAT of 26 + 29-30 won't be very competitive...so you really need to apply to schools that have avg MCATs of 30-32.

Thanks guys!

After posting this, I received an II from one of my reach schools. Advice remains the same? Add 6-10 schools to my list?