MD & DO 3.77/508 - Help with 2021 School List Please :D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnPocoLoco

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: Hispanic(Not URM) and Asian. I speak Spanish and Tagalog fairly well. Attended state school in the Southwest. Dual-degree in Molecular biology/Microbiology and Spanish Literature.

MCAT: 508 (126/125/129/128)
cGPA: 3.77
sGPA: 3.60

Research:
  • 400 hrs. as an RA in a neuroscience lab
  • 100 hrs. as an RA for a clinical psychology lab offering treatment to undocumented women.
Clinical Experience/Volunteering:
  • 330 hrs. hospital volunteering
  • 60 hrs. clinical volunteering in an underserved area in the Philippines
Shadowing:
  • 120 hrs. Family practice (DO)
  • 12 hrs. Cardiovascular surgery
  • 8 hrs. Anesthesiology
Non-Clinical Volunteering:
  • 30 hrs. at Food Bank
  • 10 hrs. at Soup kitchen
EC/Leadership:
  • President of Latino student organization
  • Internship at Latino research institute
  • Student writer/reporter for Latinx healthcare
Teaching:
  • Teaching assistant: Genetics class, conducted discussion sections, 4 semesters.
  • Learning assistant: Intro. Biology, assists with in-class clicker questions, 2 semesters
  • Spanish tutor: ~1 year, online.
Employment:
  • English Conversation Assistant during study abroad. Assisted Spanish students performance in spoken English.
  • Orientation leader: helped freshmen adjust to the university setting.
  • Sushi/KBBQ waiter

Gap Year: beginning volunteer medical translator at a free clinic. Also, starting as a clinical lab assistant.

SCHOOLS Applied to...

MD:
-my 2 state schools
-NYMC
-Albany

DO:
-CHSU
-ICOM
-BCOM
-LECOM-Erie
-LECOM-Bradenton
-ATSU Arizona
-AZCOM
-NSUCOM
-RowanSOM
-TUNCOM
-VCOM-Virginia

I'm hoping to add around 4 more DO schools. I was approved for FAP so I'm aiming to apply to the total 20 MDs, but my primary here is still 'Ready for Review' and will probably submit this Friday.

Can I get any suggestions for schools to add. Especially on the MD side I'm kinda stumped, I wasn't planning to apply allopathic but I was pleasantly surprised by my MCAT. Is it still reasonable to aim for MDs this late in the cycle?

Thank you all in advance :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You could add these MD schools in the next week:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Georgetown
George Washington
NOVA MD
Miami
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
For DO schools remove BCOM and ICOM and consider adding these:
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
CUSOM

Reactions: 1 user
Any other recommendations @Goro ? I'll probably add/send everything out tomorrow afternoon

Members don't see this ad :)
Background: Hispanic(Not URM) and Asian. I speak Spanish and Tagalog fairly well. Attended state school in the Southwest. Dual-degree in Molecular biology/Microbiology and Spanish Literature.

MCAT: 508 (126/125/129/128)
cGPA: 3.77
sGPA: 3.60

Research:
  • 400 hrs. as an RA in a neuroscience lab
  • 100 hrs. as an RA for a clinical psychology lab offering treatment to undocumented women.
Clinical Experience/Volunteering:
  • 330 hrs. hospital volunteering
  • 60 hrs. clinical volunteering in an underserved area in the Philippines
Shadowing:
  • 120 hrs. Family practice (DO)
  • 12 hrs. Cardiovascular surgery
  • 8 hrs. Anesthesiology
Non-Clinical Volunteering:
  • 30 hrs. at Food Bank
  • 10 hrs. at Soup kitchen
EC/Leadership:
  • President of Latino student organization
  • Internship at Latino research institute
  • Student writer/reporter for Latinx healthcare
Teaching:
  • Teaching assistant: Genetics class, conducted discussion sections, 4 semesters.
  • Learning assistant: Intro. Biology, assists with in-class clicker questions, 2 semesters
  • Spanish tutor: ~1 year, online.
Employment:
  • English Conversation Assistant during study abroad. Assisted Spanish students performance in spoken English.
  • Orientation leader: helped freshmen adjust to the university setting.
  • Sushi/KBBQ waiter

Gap Year: beginning volunteer medical translator at a free clinic. Also, starting as a clinical lab assistant.

SCHOOLS Applied to...

MD:
-my 2 state schools
-NYMC
-Albany

DO:
-CHSU
-ICOM
-BCOM
-LECOM-Erie
-LECOM-Bradenton
-ATSU Arizona
-AZCOM
-NSUCOM
-RowanSOM
-TUNCOM
-VCOM-Virginia

I'm hoping to add around 4 more DO schools. I was approved for FAP so I'm aiming to apply to the total 20 MDs, but my primary here is still 'Ready for Review' and will probably submit this Friday.

Can I get any suggestions for schools to add. Especially on the MD side I'm kinda stumped, I wasn't planning to apply allopathic but I was pleasantly surprised by my MCAT. Is it still reasonable to aim for MDs this late in the cycle?

Thank you all in advance :D
I can't recommend CHSU, ICOM, BCOM, Nova and Rowan. The latter is because they have an IS bias. Faha's suggestions are fine for MD and DO

Alrighty I'm pretty much applying to that MD list verbatim except for Georgetown, George Washington, and NSU , where according to the MSAR my MCAT is below the 10th percentile of their accepted students.

I'm considering replacing them with Toledo, Wright State, and USUHS to be more aligned with my metrics. Any opinion to these as options or is there something else I should look into?

Alrighty I'm pretty much applying to that MD list verbatim except for Georgetown, George Washington, and NSU , where according to the MSAR my MCAT is below the 10th percentile of their accepted students.

I'm considering replacing them with Toledo, Wright State, and USUHS to be more aligned with my metrics. Any opinion to these as options or is there something else I should look into?
Toledo and Wright state accept few non residents with no connection to the state or region (half of Toledo's non residents are from Michigan). You could add USUHS.