3.77 cGPA, 3.82 sGPA, 30S reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alphax0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a reapplicant in this cycle and all my secondaries are out and I'm just waiting on responses. Applied early and had all my apps out by July. Still wanted to hear opinions on my chances.

CA resident with 3.77cGPA, 3.83 sGPA majoring in Genetics and a minor in medical anthropology. For the past year and going forth I've been a laboratory manager and researcher assistant at an Immunology lab in my institution's school of medicine. I've been able to be acknowledged in one paper, and have been able to become an author on two others (one was too late to put down on my apps).

I also became good friends with an OB/GYN at the university's medical center and have been able to see him in action since September 2010. Been able to see him work ultrasounds, amniocentesis, and caesarians.

Have five LORs from my PI, and OB/GYN, along with my physics, anthro, and genetics professors.

Only stinker I can see on my end is MCATs. First time around had a bleh 27S (8P,10V,9B). Retook it during my first cycle app to get a 30S (8P,9V,13B)

School list still waiting on:
Albany (hold)
Rosalin Franklin
Columbia
Creighton
Dartmouth
Einstein
George Washington
Jefferson
Loyola
NYU
NYMC
Ohio State
Pittsburgh
Rochester
St. Louis
USC
Stanford
Temple
Tufts
Vermont
Penn State
UC Davis
Drexel
Mt. Sinai
Buffalo
Rush

Any insight would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a reapplicant in this cycle and all my secondaries are out and I'm just waiting on responses. Applied early and had all my apps out by July. Still wanted to hear opinions on my chances.

CA resident with 3.77cGPA, 3.83 sGPA majoring in Genetics and a minor in medical anthropology. For the past year and going forth I've been a laboratory manager and researcher assistant at an Immunology lab in my institution's school of medicine. I've been able to be acknowledged in one paper, and have been able to become an author on two others (one was too late to put down on my apps).

I also became good friends with an OB/GYN at the university's medical center and have been able to see him in action since September 2010. Been able to see him work ultrasounds, amniocentesis, and caesarians.

Have five LORs from my PI, and OB/GYN, along with my physics, anthro, and genetics professors.

Only stinker I can see on my end is MCATs. First time around had a bleh 27S (8P,10V,9B). Retook it during my first cycle app to get a 30S (8P,9V,13B)

School list still waiting on:
Albany (hold)
Rosalin Franklin
Columbia
Creighton
Dartmouth
Einstein
George Washington
Jefferson
Loyola
NYU
NYMC
Ohio State
Pittsburgh
Rochester
St. Louis
USC
Stanford
Temple
Tufts
Vermont
Penn State
UC Davis
Drexel
Mt. Sinai
Buffalo
Rush

Any insight would be appreciated
Your research and shadowing look good, and a publication is terrific. But you don't mention what you did to gain clinical experience (direct interaction with patients), any nonmedical community service, teaching, or leadership. For us to help, perhaps you could give a fuller picture of your ECs, and also what you did to improve them since you last applied.

Well last time I was just starting my job and shadowing so I didn't really have anything substantial to write about at the time. For leadership, my lab takes in undergraduate research students and I have taught directly at least 4 of them basic protocols and lab etiquette while they assist me in my work.

As for volunteering, I was limited in transportation as an undergrad and I have difficulty scheduling it working full time. As an observer in shadowing, I've interacted with patients and medical students on occasion, but I haven't volunteered outside of this.

Any recommendations would be great.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good: so you have leadership covered, and maybe you could even stretch that to include teaching.

Is there any chance you could volunteer at the OBGYN's office, maybe taking histories, collecting urines, taking vital signs? If that doesn't work out, maybe he could refer you to a free clinic in town, or, well, ERs are open all night and on weekends, and so are nursing homes and hospice programs. Maybe you could volunteer in one. Once you have these gigs going and give some hours, then send an update letter to schools about it so they know you are plugging those holes in your application.

And no matter how busy you are, adcomms will wonder that you couldn't volunteer an hour a week to a cause you care about. Ideally, this would be off campus and helping the poor.

Thanks! I'll look into clinical volunteering opportunities. Just a few more questions:

1) I've seen some committees specifically state not to send them additional materials unless requested. How seriously do admissions consider update letters?

2) I'm assuming sticking to one role and racking up hours would be better than trying for several at once?

3) And if I get those down, do you think my MCAT will be as much of a detriment?

1) Those that accept them have variable responses. Some take them so seriously that they rarely accept someone who doesn't send one. Most, I would guess, allow them to sway a decision if someone was on the cusp (and what constitutes a cusp is also a moving target depending on school). Those that don't take them toss them in the garbage if you can't follow directions (literally). And then there's the infinite gradations of response amid those extremes.

2) Yes. I'd go for one clinical and one nonclinical volunteer experience.

3) Your MCAT is fine for many schools, but IMO, you have far too many dream schools on your list which don't fit your current score. If you can afford it, that's fine though, so long as there are realistic choices as well.

Did you download the Free Matriculant Average Spreadsheet and input your stats so see where you fit best?