[3.77 cGPA/515 (127/127/130/131)] Late CA applicant. Could use some help with a school list/WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThatSerb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much advance for any help or input! I am applying late into the cycle and still finishing up my application. Here is the gist of my app:

US applicant, White, California resident

Stats:
-Cumulative GPA: 3.77
-MCAT: 515

Research:
-Research experience in two different labs (two different universities). No papers published. I did present one poster at the school’s science symposium, however.

-Did clinical research with a physical therapist to help create an application that can detect and prevent falls in elderly populations. I mainly helped him collect data. Again, no published papers or anything like that, so not sure if it is worth much.

ECs:
-Created a chapter of an organization that does medical-mission trips in Latin American countries at my university. I actually got us registered as a separate 501c3 non-profit, and was CEO technically. I went on 4 different week long trips. We built a strong program, bringing about 50 students each trip.

-Peace Corps Community Health Volunteer: I got to serve for about 7 months before I had to return to the US b/c of COVID. My official status with Peace Corps and the US government, however, is the same as it would’ve been if I did complete the full service.

-AmeriCorps VISTA volunteer: I started this when I returned to the states after Peace Corps. I work in a free-clinic and help improve their quality of care standards. I also translate some of the doctor’s visits when needed (Spanish). I have only had the position for about 2 months, but I will definitely put it on my app.

Shadowing:

I have not tallied the hours, but I do have some. I have shadowed ER doctors, forensic pathologists, and a cardiologist. If my clinic hours in Latin America counts as well, then I will have a ton of hours (not sure if only US doctors count, though).

Other info:
-I took the MCAT in september of 2019, so I am somewhat limited in time to apply.
-Personal statement is finished, but I am still waiting on LOR. Does this completely kill me for this cycle?
-As far as school preference, I do not have a ton. Location wise, I will go anywhere. The only thing I don't think I would consider is any type of program that restricts what type of residencies you can enroll in (rural medicine, family medicine, etc.) I cannot apply DO though because I don’t have any DO shadowing hours at the moment.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
The UCs (exclude UC Riverside unless you are from that region)
USC Keck
Kaiser
California University
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Miami
USF Morsani
Tulane
St. Louis
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Case Western

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
The UCs (exclude UC Riverside unless you are from that region)
USC Keck
Kaiser
California University
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Miami
USF Morsani
Tulane
St. Louis
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Case Western
thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. So does that mean that you mainly just considered my stats while making that list?

thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. So does that mean that you mainly just considered my stats while making that list?
Stats and ECs. The Jesuit and other schools will like your Peace Corps and Americorps work.

Stats and ECs. The Jesuit and other schools will like your Peace Corps and Americorps work.
What do you think about Rush? I see that their average GPA and MCAT are a 3.75 and a 513. Also, I have read that they are pretty service orientated, so I would think that my Peace Corps and AmeriCorps services would look good to them

What do you think about Rush? I see that their average GPA and MCAT are a 3.75 and a 513. Also, I have read that they are pretty service orientated, so I would think that my Peace Corps and AmeriCorps services would look good to them
You could try Rush.

You could try Rush.
I also wanted to get your opinion on applying late in this cycle. Right now I am still getting my last LOR together and finalizing my PS. Almost everyone I have spoken to online thinks I should still apply given my situation and application. They say that my LORs can arrive later in the cycle, and that many schools are being more lenient with things in general because of COVID. Do you agree with all this?

I also wanted to get your opinion on applying late in this cycle. Right now I am still getting my last LOR together and finalizing my PS. Almost everyone I have spoken to online thinks I should still apply given my situation and application. They say that my LORs can arrive later in the cycle, and that many schools are being more lenient with things in general because of COVID. Do you agree with all this?
@Goro I thought I would get your opinion as well!

Other info:

he only thing I don't think I would consider is any type of program that restricts what type of residencies you can enroll in (rural medicine, family medicine, etc.) I cannot apply DO though because I don’t have any DO shadowing hours at the moment.
Even though a fair number of med schools (and all DO) say they have a mission to train PC docs, that does not mean thier grads are limited to PC. This is yet another pre-med delusion.

You also don't need DO shadowing to get into a DO school. Lacking doesn't hurt, but having it helps.

That said, with your stats, you don't need DO schools, unless you're desperate to stay in CA. If so, then consider both westerns, Touro-CA and TUNCOM.

I suggest:
ALL UCs, but UCR ONLY IF you're from the Inland Empire
U IA
U ILL
U MA
Mt Sinai
U VA
Mayo (maybe)
Case (maybe)
NYU-LI

USC/Keck
Dartmouth
BU
Pitt
U WI
U Cincy
U CO
U VM
OH State
UCF
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Creighton
Tulane
Seton Hall
MCW

Loyola
Emory
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
Kaiser

Even though a fair number of med schools (and all DO) say they have a mission to train PC docs, that does not mean thier grads are limited to PC. This is yet another pre-med delusion.

You also don't need DO shadowing to get into a DO school. Lacking doesn't hurt, but having it helps.

That said, with your stats, you don't need DO schools, unless you're desperate to stay in CA. If so, then consider both westerns, Touro-CA and TUNCOM.

I suggest:
ALL UCs, but UCR ONLY IF you're from the Inland Empire
U IA
U ILL
U MA
Mt Sinai
U VA
Mayo (maybe)
Case (maybe)
NYU-LI

USC/Keck
Dartmouth
BU
Pitt
U WI
U Cincy
U CO
U VM
OH State
UCF
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Creighton
Tulane
Seton Hall
MCW

Loyola
Emory
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
Kaiser
Thank so very much, Goro. I cant stress enough how much I appreciate your help and input. I wanted to clarify, by PC DOCs you mean primary care docs, right?

Also, what are your thoughts on applying and sending your primaries late in the cycle? When is it considered late? I am still finishing up my application, which is why I ask. I have seen people say that schools are more lenient this year because of COVID, so I should not worry too much. Thoughts?

I wanted to clarify, by PC DOCs you mean primary care docs, right?
Yes

Also, what are your thoughts on applying and sending your primaries late in the cycle? When is it considered late? I am still finishing up my application, which is why I ask. I have seen people say that schools are more lenient this year because of COVID, so I should not worry too much. Thoughts?
Well, HOW late? In this cycle, I suggest apps should be in no later than end of Sept.

I wanted to clarify, by PC DOCs you mean primary care docs, right?
Yes

Well, HOW late? In this cycle, I suggest apps should be in no later than end of Sept.
Please excuse the ignorance, but when you say "apps" here, you are referring to secondary applications, right? In my question, I am referring to my primary application

Please excuse the ignorance, but when you say "apps" here, you are referring to secondary applications, right? In my question, I am referring to my primary application
Yes, apps mean applications.

It's okay to submit a single application without an MCAT score to what is called a throwaway school. This is a school you would have no intention of going to oh, but it gets you verified and the process started.

Yes, apps mean applications.

It's okay to submit a single application without an MCAT score to what is called a throwaway school. This is a school you would have no intention of going to oh, but it gets you verified and the process started.
Sorry, I should've been more clear. What I wanted to ask is when you say apps should be in no later than the end of Sept., are you referring to primary applications? Or secondary applications?

Sorry, I should've been more clear. What I wanted to ask is when you say apps should be in no later than the end of Sept., are you referring to primary applications? Or secondary applications?
Normally, primaries should be in by Labor Day. But in the age of COVID, end of Sept should be OK.

Normally, primaries should be in by Labor Day. But in the age of COVID, end of Sept should be OK.
Really? So I'm not even late? So whats the deal then someone tells me, "Hey ThatSerb, you're applying late. It is already almost August. You should consider waiting until next year. Applying early is one of the top factors for getting an interview. And verification is taking up to 8 weeks now. So schools might not even seen your app until September when they have already handed out a significant number of their interview invites." Is this just neurotic pre-medism?

Really? So I'm not even late? So whats the deal then someone tells me, "Hey ThatSerb, you're applying late. It is already almost August. You should consider waiting until next year. Applying early is one of the top factors for getting an interview. And verification is taking up to 8 weeks now. So schools might not even seen your app until September when they have already handed out a significant number of their interview invites." Is this just neurotic pre-medism?
It's a very common pre-med delusion that if you don't get your application in by June 2nd you're late.

It's a very common pre-med delusion that if you don't get your application in by June 2nd you're late.

Hi @Goro, in another post by gonnif I read being complete by Labor Day would be considered early for all applicants at all medical schools.
So is the following an appropriate timeline for being complete and having primary verified and secondaries/LORs submitted:
up to 09/07: early
09/07 to end of September: medium/on-time
October onwards: late

Hi @Goro, in another post by gonnif I read being complete by Labor Day would be considered early for all applicants at all medical schools.
So is the following an appropriate timeline for being complete and having primary verified and secondaries/LORs submitted:
up to 09/07: early
09/07 to end of September: medium/on-time
October onwards: late
That comment by the wise Gonnif was for normal cycles. You will NOT be late by early Oct.