3.78/28...should i apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ironhill

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ive taken the MCATs twice...23/28. 3.78 gpa from a small private school. research/publications/extracurriculars are adequate.

my two questions:
1. should i apply? 2. it's already middle of july... is it too late for this cycle?
i need some advice!!!! please provide some insight! thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ironhill said:
ive taken the MCATs twice...23/28. 3.78 gpa from a small private school. research/publications/extracurriculars are adequate.

my two questions:
1. should i apply? 2. it's already middle of july... is it too late for this cycle?

Yes. Apply, not too late for this cycle.

TOO LATE ??? !!!!! (well it is for the '06 class)

this is the best time to apply. It's still early in the cycle ('07).....if you're all set then don't hesitate.

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
definitely apply, you should be more than competitive but apply early (ASAP) and broadly!! good luck and have fun!

yzf600 said:
TOO LATE ??? !!!!! (well it is for the '06 class)

this is the best time to apply. It's still early in the cycle ('07).....if you're all set then don't hesitate.

good luck

well i'm worried because i a) haven't even registered for an aamcas user id and b) haven't asked for recommendations yet... i just know there are professors/employers who would def write them... i was thinking of just applying to a few low tier schools... what do you think? should i apply to many?

this whole process... even before the application actually begins... can be quite frustrating to say the least!

ironhill said:

my two questions:

not too late, but you may be at a slight disadvantage if you don't hurry. You have the stats...

it's not that late..
i think it depends more on how fast you submit the secondaries.
i definitely recommend you to apply though!

get rolling with your LORs and personal statement. ;)

Apply wisely and you should be okay --- but hurry. Your numbers are fine. I'd be more worried about not having any LORs yet. Some professors take their sweet time in writing them.

I would apply if your science GPA is around where your cum is and your MCAT is pretty balanced (10/9/9ish). It's not too late. If you're serious about getting in this cycle and financially able, I would apply to a lot of schools (that you have reasonable chances of acceptance to) to maximize chances of acceptances. If you haven't asked for recs yet, get on it quick. Also, I would consider applying to DO and postbac programs.

Apply now. Get going on those LORs. You won't need to submit them until you get secondaries anyway. Does your school have a letter service or do you need to use interfolio?

If youre THAT worried than apply to a few DO schools as a backup. I think there should still be MD schools that accept you though.

definitely apply. my stats were around the same and several interviews before new years. it's worth shot, and my guess is that you will get in somewhere. but I don't think you can be picky. good luck!

What state are you a resident of?

Tomorrow, go talk to your professors/employers and get them started on LOR's. After that get your amcas ID and get your school working on sending your transcripts in. You can realistically knock out all of this AMCAS stuff in a matter of days/weeks if you stay on top of it.

Pick schools wisely, choose 10 schools with GPA's around 3.5-3.6 and MCAT scores around 28-30, then you can add some reach schools as well. If you apply to 15-20 schools all together with the majority of them being schools with equal or lesser average matriculant statistics you should get in, because there are definitely that meet this criteria. Go download sugarhill gang's "Apache" and jump on it!

I agree with most of these people. You definitely have the stats. Your MCAT increase is significant and therefore shows determination and it will definitely be noticeable. Go to each of your LOR prospects and explain your situation and try to get it ASAP--this is your biggest problem right now. For the PS, stop what you are doing with friends and such and lock yourself in a room for the whole weekend (if not more) and write you personal statement, seriously think deeply about why you are destined for medicine. In 1-2 weeks, check up on your LOR's, and politely remind them every week or so afterwards until it is done. If you work hard you could have everything finished in about a month. But notice I said work hard. You need to work quickly, but accurately and don't let it affect the quality of your application.

Apply widely and to a lot of schools. Your first priority is getting your LOR....that will take the longest and is the most unpredicable aspect of an application. If you aren't getting any interviews or acceptances before New Year's, think about prepping for MCAT retake. Your GPA isn't the problem so much as your MCAT.

1. any suggestions on how to approach professors for a LOR?
2. my school has a committee... but i think it would be more advantageous if i got letters from profs i have done research with and my current PI... what should I do?
3. what's this interfolio thing i keep seeing?
4.thanks for all the feedback thusfar... you've all been a huuuge help :)

ironhill said:
1. any suggestions on how to approach professors for a LOR?
2. my school has a committee... but i think it would be more advantageous if i got letters from profs i have done research with and my current PI... what should I do?
3. what's this interfolio thing i keep seeing?
4.thanks for all the feedback thusfar... you've all been a huuuge help :)

this is how i do it and for some profs i didn't know very well, it gives them very specific things to say about me
1) your personal statement (rough one is fine)
2) your resume => work experience
3) a sample LOR (like outline out the things w/ examples that they could say)
4) if teachers want to meet with you, then do so

hopefully it all goes well for you, if you apply wisely, you'll get in somewhere

How should one ask for the rec letter? -via phone, email, or in person?

I might be moving out-of-state this year. I will be asking for rec letters next year, so I do not think I will be able to ask for rec letters in person.

Should I go ahead and ask for them now before I move or ask for them next year (around the time I need them) via phone or email?

Thank you!
(Applying in 2007 for 2008).
doublehh03 said:
this is how i do it and for some profs i didn't know very well, it gives them very specific things to say about me
1) your personal statement (rough one is fine)
2) your resume => work experience
3) a sample LOR (like outline out the things w/ examples that they could say)
4) if teachers want to meet with you, then do so

hopefully it all goes well for you, if you apply wisely, you'll get in somewhere

MaryWrathers said:
How should one ask for the rec letter? -via phone, email, or in person?

I might be moving out-of-state this year. I will be asking for rec letters next year, so I do not think I will be able to ask for rec letters in person.

Should I go ahead and ask for them now before I move or ask for them next year (around the time I need them) via phone or email?

Thank you!
(Applying in 2007 for 2008).

From my experience, the profs that I asked recommendations from preferred email because it is convenient and accessible, although I hinted at the start of the semester that I may be asking for a LOR sometime during the semester when my plans were more concrete.

newbie1kenobi said:
From my experience, the profs that I asked recommendations from preferred email because it is convenient and accessible, although I hinted at the start of the semester that I may be asking for a LOR sometime during the semester when my plans were more concrete.

some of the schools i'm looking at require a non-science prof LOR... how do i reconnect with one of these profs if i either had them 4 years ago for 2-3 semesters or if i had them last year for 1 semester? instead of the non-science, can i get a letter from my current employer?

most schools really want a non-science letter from a class you've taken. You can use your employer letter just as another LOR