MD 3.78 cGPA 3.72 sGPA 37 MCAT but very little research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itsraininbunnie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am working on secondaries now. 3.78 cGPA 3.72 sGPA at an Ivy, 37 MCAT (PS 13 VR 12 BS 12). I think my app is pretty solid, solid ECs, but only one summer of research. I've applied to 24 MD schools and might apply to more if I feel the lack of research will hold me back. Do you think I have a shot even without much research? Or does anyone have any tips on what to say if schools ask me why I did so little research?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sweet numbers :)
Do you have clinical experience??

Thank you! And yes, I have about 250 hours of clinical volunteering, 70 hours of shadowing, and then 200 hours of non clinical volunteering. I really focused on volunteering rather than research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some research-heavy schools might wonder, but I don't think most places will care. Great job on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
1 summer is enough to get your feet wet; though you may not wow anyone at the research heavy schools, I think you'll be okay with your numbers (assuming your list is fairly balanced).

3.78 cGPA 3.72 sGPA at an Ivy, 37 MCAT (PS 13 VR 12 BS 12) look so much better than 3.9/4.0 and MCAT 34/35 from
mid-tier or bottom-tier universities.

Ivy is always a plus!