3.78 GPA; 28L MCAT; Decent amount of ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhinn88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a resident of Mississippi with a GPA of 3.78 and an MCAT score of 28L. I received my B.S. in Chemistry with a focus on biochemistry.

Although my MCAT scores are my lower than desired, I know my chances at the University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC) are fairly decent (will be applying June 1st).

Other than UMMC, what other MD schools would I have a good chance at?

--Basic EC stats---

Research:
1 semester (paid lab tech) in a toxicology research lab
1 year in biochemistry research lab
1 year environmental chemistry research lab

Shadowing:
30+ hours at a free family clinic - Shadowed 4 different physicians
30+ hours shadowing physicians at a woman's hospital - everything from anesthesiologists to surgeons performing hysterectomies

School clubs and committees:
-Founded/President of American Red Cross Club at my school
-Vice President of the American Chemical Society student chapter
-Undergraduate representative for 4 years for the Technology Advisory Board at my school (helped allocate part of the technology fee for independent student/faculty/staff projects)

Volunteering:
Emergency Department volunteer (43 hours; while in high school)
American Red Cross volunteer (100+ hours)
Woman and Infants hospital volunteer (50 hours; still volunteering)
State department of archives and history (70 hours; still volunteering)
Various community outreach programs through clubs and organizations (30+ hours)

Work Experience:
Wal-mart cashier
Chemistry tutor
Toxicology lab aide
Intern for State Department of Environmental Quality

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm a resident of Mississippi with a GPA of 3.78 and an MCAT score of 28L. I received my B.S. in Chemistry with a focus on biochemistry.

Although my MCAT scores are my lower than desired, I know my chances at the University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC) are fairly decent (will be applying June 1st).

--Basic EC stats---

Research:

Shadowing:
30+ hours shadowing physicians at a woman's hospital - everything from anesthesiologists to surgeons performing hysterectomies

-Undergraduate representative for 4 years for the Technology Advisory Board at my school (helped allocate part of the technology fee for independent student/faculty/staff projects)

Volunteering:

Work Experience:
Wal-mart cashier
Chemistry tutor
Toxicology lab aide

Thank you

Your MCAT is very low and your clinical volunteering is nonexistent. I wouldn't bank on any MD school with that combo :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

no clinical volunteering?

she has substantial clinical volunteering

her mcat is pretty low though, i'd retake or aim for DO

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, unfortunately that MCAT score will hurt you. Apply instate and hope for the best.

Hi,

--Basic EC stats---

Research:

Shadowing:

Volunteering:

Work Experience:
Wal-mart cashier
Chemistry tutor
Toxicology lab aide

Thank you

Check out UVM, they do accept OOS people with 28 MCAT. They tend to care more about a better fit for the university and your experiences than grades.

Check out UVM, they do accept OOS people with 28 MCAT. They tend to care more about a better fit for the university and your experiences than grades.

I got 6 MD interviews and 1 MD acceptance with a 28 MCAT, same GPA and less ECs. I may have had another acceptance if I went to more of my interviews since I got my first acceptance in November. Re-taking will definitely help but do not listen to these people do what you feel is right. I also applied to DO and got into all DO schools that I interviewed at with those scores.

Hi,

--Basic EC stats---

Research:

Shadowing:

Volunteering:

Work Experience:
Wal-mart cashier
Chemistry tutor
Toxicology lab aide

Thank you
Your more recent clinical experience appears somewhat sparse, but the shadowing is good. (HS experiences may be discounted by a lot of adcomms.) I'm glad that the hospital volunteering is ongoing; be sure to include added hours in update letters.

With a 3.78/28, other MD schools to research for your "fit" to their mission:
Toledo, Wake, Creighton (no CC credit for prereqs), Nebraska, LSU-NO, NYMC, Vermont, Hofstra (newer)
Wayne, Wright, Drexel, FAU (new), Tulane, MSU (high OOS tuition), Oakland (newer in MI), Penn State (requires a research thesis), Commonwealth in Pa (seeks to train rural NE PA docs), Arizona X 2,
VCU, Louisville, UIllinois (high OOS tuition), Buffalo, ETennessee (vet preference, 13%OOS)
EVMS, RFU, Cooper (new)
USCarolina (if state ties),

^^ Yes, but see this is why I would suggest to the OP to retake the test. With average ECs and a high GPA, the lower MCAT greatly limits your choices. Yes, the schools above will educate you and you could get your M.D. at any of them, but let's be honest, the match is going to hurt you.

Having a sibling go through the match and parents who are adjuncts, I have been told many times that med school prestige doesn't factor in majorly for residency apps. HOWEVER, there is a distinction between the upper crust and the bottom of the barrel (so to speak). The middle ground schools will neither hurt nor help. Of the schools above, I wouldn't list any as middle ground (well Wake, but I'm not so sure as they have a higher MCAT average..like 32 thought). Hence, you will have a steep uphill battle for radiology, ENT, ortho, etc. You'll need higher board scores from these schools, need to honor everything, and possibly take time off for research....even then the connections are going to be tough.

OP, it's up to you though, if you want to gun for something competitive down the road, think about an MCAT retake. If not, apply to a wide range and hope for the best.

OP, what's your score breakdown? A balanced 28 even with the L might work out fine but if it's unbalanced, especially with a low verbal, you might be better off retaking.

Hi,

--Basic EC stats---

Research:

Shadowing:

Volunteering:

Work Experience:
Wal-mart cashier
Chemistry tutor
Toxicology lab aide

Thank you

Your research experience is good, and your volunteer experience is decent. Your work experience will help as well. Really the only thing holding you back is the MCAT score. Just by increasing it to a 32 or so your chances would probably go up greatly. If you can't retake it, though, there are schools that like applicants with high GPAs and don't mind the MCAT score as much. Creighton comes to mind. You might have a shot at WVU with the high GPA. You're also in range for Rosalind Franklin, Michigan State (though the OOS tuition is very high), Louisville, Wright State, Commonwealth.

If you end up not retaking the MCAT, you should definitely work on your ECs throughout the application cycle in case you end up having to reapply. But your chances at your state school are very good, I think.

I got 6 MD interviews and 1 MD acceptance with a 28 MCAT, same GPA and less ECs. I may have had another acceptance if I went to more of my interviews since I got my first acceptance in November. Re-taking will definitely help but do not listen to these people do what you feel is right. I also applied to DO and got into all DO schools that I interviewed at with those scores.

Congratulations on your N=1, be sure to write it up and submit it to Nature.

Congratulations on your N=1, be sure to write it up and submit it to Nature.

Thanks man! your advice is sooo useful omg....way to be a complete tool. I was just giving the guy some prospective and hope from someone in the same situation as him...I know I would have appreciated it when I applied. And a N=1 is actually something to be proud of considering not everyone has the opportunity to get into medical school. Why don't you take the giant stick out of your ass and do something useful with it besides putting others down. And isn't this ur second application cycle...which is totally fine but for someone talking smack I would have thought you could do better than that.

Last edited:
27 is 10th percentile across the entire nation for accepted MD, just putting that out there.

Most schools screen out >8 subsection scores, so find out if schools you want to apply to do screen and what their cutoffs are.

Hey guys,
I posted a 28L in May (9 VR, 11 PS, 8 BS- bio section was beyond everyone I spoke with). 3.94 science gpa with 4.0 non-science. Upper Michigan resident. Anyone have an idea of what my shot at the Michigan schools may be?

Thanks man! your advice is sooo useful omg....way to be a complete tool. I was just giving the guy some prospective and hope from someone in the same situation as him...I know I would have appreciated it when I applied. And a N=1 is actually something to be proud of considering not everyone has the opportunity to get into medical school. Why don't you take the giant stick out of your ass and do something useful with it besides putting others down. And isn't this ur second application cycle...which is totally fine but for someone talking smack I would have thought you could do better than that.

You just tooled the tool...

Hey guys,
I posted a 28L in May (9 VR, 11 PS, 8 BS- bio section was beyond everyone I spoke with). 3.94 science gpa with 4.0 non-science. Upper Michigan resident. Anyone have an idea of what my shot at the Michigan schools may be?

Why would you hijack a thread instead of starting your own WAMC?