3.78cGPA, 3.68sGPA, 10BS, 10PS, 8VR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crtstrs13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.78cGPA, 3.68sGPA, 10BS, 10PS, 8VR, resident of IL. I have experience volunteering in a hospital for about a year, and a few other volunteer experiences (coaching sports for kids). I currently work as a research assistant in psychiatry, with a daily contact with patients with mental illnesses. I would like to hear about what others feel that my chances are for mainly in-state schools (UIC, Rush, Loyola). Also, do I retake the MCAT, I am aware that my VR is low. My main concern is that I may not do as well on the other sections of the MCAT from not being around the science material in a while.

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen UIC take applicants with lower MCAT scores than you have, when they have a strong cGPA (you do) and superlative ECs (not so sure about that).

Loyola will take applicants with lower stats when they are very, very strong in community service.

You've been kinda sketchy in describing your ECs. How long have you coached? This counts as teaching and as community service. How long will the research activity be when you apply? Have you shadowed? What about leadership experience? How strong is your other community service? Have you had contact with medically ill patients in your hospital activity?

If you do not want to retake the MCAT, I'd suggest you consider applying to DO schools at the same time as MD schools, to improve your chances of an acceptance. CCOM (in a west Chicago suburb) a very good school that I think you have a good chance of getting into. You might also strategize what else you can do to make your application stand out more.

Last edited:
When I apply, I will have a little over 1 year in research , 3 years of volunteer coaching experience, 1.5 years in hospital volunteer experience (working in the pediatrics department with the children admitted to the hospital), and was on the exec board of an organization for 3 years during undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Several hobbies, most notably: 14 years of competitive women's ice hockey and still involved today, tennis, traveling (throughout Europe on various occasions), boating and water skiing/wake boarding, and snow skiing.

I do not currently have any shadow experience, however I will try to make some contacts through my volunteer position. Otherwise, I am not sure how to go about doing that without any connections.

I think the best way to make a contact is through docs you meet while volunteering, but you could also ask your physician from when you grew up (especially if you'll be home in the next month) or contacts of family members.

There is a special selectable category on the application for Sports. Looks like you have that covered too. Adcomms like to see evidence of teamwork and dedication. Of something you have a passion about. The ice hockey may just be the "hook" you needed.

Well, thank you very much for all of your input. I still have a lot to think about regarding retaking the MCAT. I will begin to look back over the study material and see how I feel about it. It will be tough since I do work full time, and I have been out of school since May 09, but I'll have to just make a study schedule around it. Once again, thanks for the help!