1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

MD & DO 3.78cGPA; 3.73sGPA; 27MCAT

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by SpartanGuy, Sep 24, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. SpartanGuy

SpartanGuy 2+ Year Member

Aug 8, 2012
    East Lansing, MI
    I am going to try and keep this somewhat vague but here goes!

Michigan resident. Non-Trad
    My MCAT breakdown is 8V, 9P, 10B Total 27
    Clinical Volunteering: Roughly 300 hours as an Emergency Department volunteer, another 50 hours as a volunteer in the Radiology Department.
    Physician Shadowing: Roughly 50 hours shadowing an Ortho in the operating room and clinic, around 25 hours shadowing a Pediatric HEMOC
    Research: 2 semesters as part of a meta data project, non lab research, all I did was enroll participants by collecting their personal information and explaining the survey they had to fill out.
    Non Clinical: I have been a Veteran Mentor for over 2 years at a special Veterans Treatment Court here in town, I help veterans with their transition back into civilian life.
    Employment: My first 4 years after high school I was in a branch of the military as an Infantryman, plenty of leadership experience, personal awards, and the lucky recipient of two deployments, one to each Iraq and Afghanistan.
    LOR: I have 5 great letters from teachers, physician, military leadership

I have completed/received secondaries from:
    Michigan State MD
    Michigan State DO
    University of Michigan
    Wayne State
    University of Ohio
    Wisconsin
    Loyola
    University of Southern Florida
    University of South Carolina
    University of Arizona Tucson
    University of Hawaii -already rejected but I was stationed there so I wanted to at least try
    Tulane -rejected as well but was encouraged to apply due to my unique story and life experience
    Central Michigan University
    University of Colorado
    Alabama- received but have not submitted as of 9/24
    University of Vermont

Mainly I am starting to wonder if I should add more schools, and if I should, what schools. I have no problem with either DO or MD, private or state, or geographic location, my goal is to get accepted and continue moving forward towards my career goal.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Lifetime Donor Gold Donor SDN Moderator 5+ Year Member

Add more DO schools!

4. SpartanGuy

Aug 8, 2012
    East Lansing, MI
    Would you recommend any specific DO schools?

5. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Lifetime Donor Gold Donor SDN Moderator 5+ Year Member

We need to ask @Goro.

6. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

First off., many thanks for your service to our country.
    Goro suggests ALL MI medical schools, MD and DO
    University of Ohio
    Loyola
    University of Southern Florida
    Rush
    IU
    U Toledo
    All new MD schools, except Hofstra
    MCW
    SLU
    Penn State
    the Philly triplets
    Albany
    NYMC
    Creighton
    Wake Forest
    VCU

All DO schools except AZCOM. Start with MSUCOM, MUCOM, DMU, OH-COM, LECOM and CCOM, and then work your way outwards. Avoid LUCOM.

7. SpartanGuy

Aug 8, 2012
    East Lansing, MI
    Thank you both for the feedback!