3.79cGPA ; 3.8sGPA ; 505 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monoloco357

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Chemical engineering major / biomedical engineering minor. Worked throughout college (>3000hrs work experience) w/ decent ECs: 300hrs volunteer at local hospital, 40hrs volunteer non-clinical, 130hrs shadowing, president of ChE Honor Society, several scholarships (merit) and obvious awards like some academic accolades and dean's/president's list, some addit'nal club involvement (2yrs playing ultimate), 70hrs research (started this summer). Projected hours: +200 clinical-volunteer, +150hrs shadowing, +300hrs research (part of my master's). Oh, MS in BME, expected may 2017. I have a couple of interesting projects I've done, like building an electroencephalogram (hand-soldered components).

So... aforementioned considered, WAMC? Florida resident. First-generation Cuban-American.

Members don't see this ad.

@Goro You appear to be the person to speak to on this forum. Might you be able to shed some light on my standing? Thanks in advance for your time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend the following:

Quinnipiac

Oakland U Beaumont

WVU

EVMS

Rosy Franklin

MCW

Creighton

NYMC

VCU

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

Albany

Netter

Your state school(s).

Any DO school.

I recommend the following:

Quinnipiac

Oakland U Beaumont

WVU

EVMS

Rosy Franklin

MCW

Creighton

NYMC

VCU

Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)

Albany

Netter

Your state school(s).

Any DO school.
Prompt response! Thanks for your feedback.

@Goro What is your opinion on the following:

Central Michigan

Indiana

Morehouse

North Dakota

Kansas

Louisville

Thanks again for your time.

When you see OOS like this, it's people who have either grown up in the state, or have spent significant time in the state, like going to college there. Either that, or from a neighboring state.

State schools favor the home team because taxpayers who are subsidizing your education with lower tuition want you to stick around and practice medicine there, not join the ranks of the FL Medical Association. Someone from souther MI or northern, rural KY is more likely to settle down in, say, Muncie, than someone from Miami or Gainesville.

Indiana accepts about 200 people from instate and 90 or so from out of state. Doesn't that seem like a big OOS number? Or do you think that mostly includes those with ties to Indiana?

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro One last thing: where might I find the "list of Don'ts" for Loma Linda? I searched their website to no avail.

Thanks for your responses, and thanks for your time.

@Goro One last thing: where might I find the "list of Don'ts" for Loma Linda? I searched their website to no avail.

Thanks for your responses, and thanks for your time.
Look at the student handbook.
LLU is looking for those whose mission is to serve Christ. It is a Seventh Day Adventist school. Historically, non-Adventists are not interviewed until January.
They require that students completely refrain from sex (outside of marriage) and alcohol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user