3.7cGPA 3.55sGPA 36 MCAT Texas Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AggieDoc45

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just trying to get a feel of where I am competitive both in and possibly out of Texas. Currently a junior Biology Major. Any guidance is much appreciated! I will be applying this coming cycle.

Grades:
Upward trend since freshman year, took B's in most of the freshman sciences, which led to a 3.0 2nd semester. Only one B since that point (Ochem II). If I can continue the trend, my cGPA will be closer to 3.75 and sgpa a little over 3.6.
MCAT: 36 (11PS/11VR/14Bio) so a little unbalanced
EC/Volunteer:
work 15-20 hours a week since 2nd semester freshman year doing contracting work for Google and Bing (Paying for part of college)
Will have nearly 200 Clinical volunteer hours (3 hours per week roughly) started sophomore year
Started in a neuroscience lab this semester, will have 2 semesters of around 10 hours/week. Doubtful I will have any publications.
Started tutoring for the MCAT 1.5 hours a week (voluntarily, pre med adviser approved this) and will have around 20 total hours
Habitat for Humanity, will probably have around 40-50 hours (only joined this semester)
Volunteering at the Natural History Museum in my area around 3 hours a week, will have around 60-70 hours when I apply (also started this semester)
Shadowed a cardiologist for 20 hours last winter, shadowing an ER doc and my former pediatrician this winter break

I know I am playing catch up with non-clinical volunteering, and I am hoping that doesn't hurt me too much since I just started. Is there anything else that I should be doing aside from trying to raise my GPA's and what I am already doing? Would it benefit me to take a gap year and boost my EC's?

I will definitely apply to all of the Texas schools, although I am unsure how I stack up for Baylor/UTSW since they are so research oriented and I don't have much experience there. I'm worried my GPA's will hurt me since they are both below the medians at every school.

Any advice/criticism is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Just trying to get a feel of where I am competitive both in and possibly out of Texas. Currently a junior Biology Major. Any guidance is much appreciated! I will be applying this coming cycle.

Grades:
Upward trend since freshman year, took B's in most of the freshman sciences, which led to a 3.0 2nd semester. Only one B since that point (Ochem II). If I can continue the trend, my cGPA will be closer to 3.75 and sgpa a little over 3.6.
MCAT: 36 (11PS/11VR/14Bio) so a little unbalanced
EC/Volunteer:
work 15-20 hours a week since 2nd semester freshman year doing contracting work for Google and Bing (Paying for part of college)
Will have nearly 200 Clinical volunteer hours (3 hours per week roughly) started sophomore year
Started in a neuroscience lab this semester, will have 2 semesters of around 10 hours/week. Doubtful I will have any publications.
Started tutoring for the MCAT 1.5 hours a week (voluntarily, pre med adviser approved this) and will have around 20 total hours
Habitat for Humanity, will probably have around 40-50 hours (only joined this semester)
Volunteering at the Natural History Museum in my area around 3 hours a week, will have around 60-70 hours when I apply (also started this semester)
Shadowed a cardiologist for 20 hours last winter, shadowing an ER doc and my former pediatrician this winter break

I know I am playing catch up with non-clinical volunteering, and I am hoping that doesn't hurt me too much since I just started. Is there anything else that I should be doing aside from trying to raise my GPA's and what I am already doing? Would it benefit me to take a gap year and boost my EC's?

I will definitely apply to all of the Texas schools, although I am unsure how I stack up for Baylor/UTSW since they are so research oriented and I don't have much experience there. I'm worried my GPA's will hurt me since they are both below the medians at every school.

Any advice/criticism is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
If you are ambitious, an extra year of GPA improvement, research with additional responsibility, and some added peer leadership, along with augmentations of some of the activity plans you've outlined (for better longevity), would make you are more viable candidate to "top schools". As you stand, you're still a very solid applicant with a good chance of success if you apply early next season. Your MCAT score isn't considered unbalanced if all subscores are 10 or better. Well done.

You are a very solid applicant. Your slightly lower GPA may hurt you at some top-tier schools, but you still have a shot at those. And you are competitive at every Texas school. Just try to keep your grades and EC's up and you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Updating how my cycle went:
I received II at UTH, UTMB, A&M, UTSW and Tech Lubbock (withdrew)
Prematched at UTH and A&M (will be attending UTH, whoop!)
I was rejected from UTSA, Tech El Paso, Dell, and Baylor without an interview

Hopefully this helps someone when applying this year, I remember stalking these forums last year and no one ever updated where they got in!

Reactions: 6 users
You should make an account on MDApplicants!

That really helps me out when people like you update after the cycle is over.

what does prematch differ from regular matching process? my top choice is UTH as well :D

So on November 15th, schools can offer you acceptance before the match (which is in early February). You can accept as many of these as you want (they're binding for the school). Pre match offers are withdrawn, and you're left with one school after the match happens. It's basically just a guaranteed acceptance, and helps when ranking schools.

And good luck, UTH is a fantastic school!

So on November 15th, schools can offer you acceptance before the match (which is in early February). You can accept as many of these as you want (they're binding for the school). Pre match offers are withdrawn, and you're left with one school after the match happens. It's basically just a guaranteed acceptance, and helps when ranking schools.

And good luck, UTH is a fantastic school!

thanks!! Do you know how many prematch offers do they give out each year?