MD 3.7cGPA, 3.7sGPA, 27 MCAT (10/9/8)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Decimus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.7 cGPA , 3.7 sGPA, 27 MCAT (10/9/8)

Michigan Resident
Average volunteering
Average extracurricular
Low leadership
Good research (1 4th author publication + posters + publications in the work)
Expecting good LORs

What are my chances at these target schools (and should I add / remove any)?
  1. Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
  2. Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
  3. Wayne State University School of Medicine
  4. University of Michigan Medical School
  5. The University of Toledo College of Medicine
  6. University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
  7. Ohio State University College of Medicine
  8. Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
  9. Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
  10. University of Illinois College of Medicine
  11. Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
  12. Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
  13. Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine
  14. University of Chicago Division of the Biological Sciences The Pritzker School of Medicine
  15. Pennsylvania State UniversityTemple University School of Medicine
  16. Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University College of Medicine
And should I add these two new schools to my list. Really don't want to go to a brand new school
  1. Western Michigan University School of Medicine
  2. Central Michigan University College of Medicine
Any input appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Remove Northwestern, Case Western, Priztker, your MCAT is too low for them. And for the new schools... if you really cannot see yourself going there, then don't waste your money. However, if you're only trying to become a doctor, I'd say add those to your list since they may be the only ones you could get accepted to. Your best bet is probably going to be in-state with your numbers.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! I know its always hard to say, but does it seem likely I'll get into an MD school, or do my current stats warrant DO consideration?

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a handful of md schools where an MCAT of 27 falls into their 10th-90th percentile range, so it's not out of the question. Just depends on how good the rest of your app is, but DO would probably have better chances.

I would definitely consider a couple D.O. schools as well. My gpa was lower than yours (around 3.4 sci, 3.5 cum) but with a MCAT of 32 I was still waitlisted to the MD programs. It would be safe if you added a couple, just my two cents

We have similar numbers, but my MCAT is 11/6/10 (i will be retaking)... I'll be applying MD and DO and i suggest you do the same.

You also might want to remove Ohio State. If you're applying to Jefferson, what about Drexel or Temple?

Thanks all! This has been really helpful!
Good luck Omppu27! I'd be very interested in how everything turns out for you, we have very similar stats and lists! Maybe once we get interviews I'll shot you a message.

Northwestern? Case? U Chicago?? With a 27 MCAT? It's faster to flush your money down the toilet.

A 27 MCAT is circling the drain for MD schools.
goro suggests
  1. Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
  2. Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
  3. Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
  4. Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
  5. Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
  6. Pennsylvania State University
  7. Drexel
  8. MCW
  9. Penn State

Yes to ALL new MD schools except Hofstra. Beggers can't be choosy.

And should I add these two new schools to my list. Really don't want to go to a brand new school
  1. Western Michigan University School of Medicine
  2. Central Michigan University College of Medicine
You're fine for all DO schools too, and you should seriously consider them, unless you retake the MCAT and score > 30.

Consider MSUCOM since you're a Mich resident.

Avg MCAT score is 33, with a floor of 30. You'd be autorejected.
According to Hofstra's admissions page: "...competitive applicants should have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 and MCAT score of 25...". I guess they just say that to rake in the donations... The MSAR definitely indicates otherwise.

Last edited:
Anyone else have any advice?
Apply to SMP programs if you really want the MD and don't mind taking a year off to try and "prove" yourself. The SMP at rosalind franklin does a pretty good job at sending kids to their med school. And you would easily get into their program.