3.7gpa 30mcat...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hunter3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to apply this upcoming application cycle. Here are my stats
1) 3.7 gpa Biology major
2) 30 mcat (12P/10B/8V) I am retaking it so I can get ~33
3) 3 year EMT-B experience (Volunteer)
4) Emergency dept volunteer in a very busy NYC hospital ~150 hours. Also shadowed ER and internal medicine doctors here.
5) President of a Pre-med club (2 years). Treasurer 1 year.
6) President and captain of a club sport team. 1 year. Team appeared on TV and was mentioned in a NY Times article.
7) 1 year drug delivery research. 1 paper published. will be submitting 1 more during this summer. 4 poster presentations and 1 oral presentation.
8) Tutored chemistry for 1 semester (paid)
9) Marketing intern in a Health insurance company for 2 consecutive summers.
10) tutored high school level sciences (Volunteer) 3 months.

What are my chances? Should I apply to top 20 schools!? I dont even know if I will get a higher mcat score since I am submitting my application in june and will get my scores in early july! What should I aim for on mcat to get into a top 20 medical school given by extracurriculars?

Also, I had 3.8 gpa till last semester but this semester I got a C+ in one upper level chemistry course. How bad will that look on my application?

Will appreciate all the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

1) 3.7 gpa Biology major
4) Emergency dept volunteer in a very busy NYC hospital ~150 hours. Also shadowed ER and internal medicine doctors here.
6) President and captain of a club sport team. 1 year. Team appeared on TV and was mentioned in a NY Times article.
7) 1 year drug delivery research. 1 paper published. will be submitting 1 more during this summer. 4 poster presentations and 1 oral presentation.

What are my chances? Should I apply to top 20 schools!? I dont even know if I will get a higher mcat score since I am submitting my application in june and will get my scores in early july! What should I aim for on mcat to get into a top 20 medical school given by extracurriculars?

Also, I had 3.8 gpa till last semester but this semester I got a C+ in one upper level chemistry course. How bad will that look on my application?

Don't waste your time on the top school applications. The only top school you should probably apply for is NYU. Then again, what hospital did you volunteer at?

I presume you are at Hunter? Regular, or Macaulay? That can play a pretty substantial difference.

Don't worry to much about the crappy grade in upper-div chem class, so long as you did very well in other upper division classes - which judging by your GPA, you did. What is your science GPA and how many B's did you have?

You have very solid chances at Downstate (which is a very good thing, most people would kill for "solid chances"), and other SUNY's. You are literally the average applicant, with above average EC's. (Good job on the published paper!) so you will be pretty competitive for places like Einstein, NYMC, and a few others in the area.

I volunteered at Bellevue Hospital and I volunteer with a volunteer ambulance corp in Brooklyn. I am at Hunter regular.

I was worried about that class because it created a negative trend in my gpa. My science gpa is 3.85. In sciences, I have a B+ in biochem 2 and a W in physics 1 (retook and got an A). 2-3 Bs in humanities

Just curious, you dont think I have any chance at Cornell or Mount Sinai if I get 33-34 on mcat given my current ECs and gpa?

Members don't see this ad :)
I volunteered at Bellevue Hospital and I volunteer with a volunteer ambulance corp in Brooklyn. I am at Hunter regular.

I was worried about that class because it created a negative trend in my gpa. My science gpa is 3.85. In sciences, I have a B+ in biochem 2 and a W in physics 1 (retook and got an A). 2-3 Bs in humanities

Just curious, you dont think I have any chance at Cornell or Mount Sinai if I get 33-34 on mcat given my current ECs and gpa?

Bellevue - another reason why you should apply to NYU and not waste money on others.

First of all, a 30 on the MCAT is no small feat, so congrats on that score. It is a pretty big deal. Should you do better second time around (33-34 as you said) then I think you should invest time/money for Cornell and Sinai, but know that you are not the "ideal" applicant. The reason for that is, even though your GPA is just about average, your MCAT will still be below average for these schools, plus it will be a retake. The main factor going in your favor is your awesome research. Did you do research at Hunter or did you do it at one of medical universities?

No worries about the "downward trend" since one grade doesn't establish a trend. B+ in Biochem is admirable, and you rocked Physics (I assume it was algebra based?) With an A after you withdrew. The fact that you only have a few B's in your AO (All Other) GPA is also pretty awesome and sets you up in a good position. (out of curiousity, how was Bio with your infamous Professor?)

I will restate that you have solid chances at Downstate, but even that is not "in the bag" by any means. So shooting up for Cornell and Sinai, even with a retake will remain a stretch. Where else are you applying? I think Penn State is pretty OOS (out of state) friendly. Jefferson is also a good option.

I'll conclude with that you're in a much better position for most, and that you are very fortunate to have so many SUNY's looking in your favor (Stony Brook <3)

1) 3.7 gpa Biology major

Apply early and broadly. You probably need at least a 33 MCAT to get attention from the Top 20 and even still, these schools look for candidates with a huge "X" factor that make them stand out a great deal. The Top 20 schools = approximately 2000 students, and there are far more than 2000 applicants with a 33/3.7 or better. The point I'm trying to get it is that stats aren't everything. You probably need at least a 33 to be considered but even with that, its a huge uphill battle to get a spot. You MUST MUST apply to lower and mid tier schools as well, and a lot of them.. Best of luck :thumbup: