canjosh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2004
Houston
Status
Medical Student
Lookin' good. Just write a good PS and be humble during interviews. Nothing wrong with your school list, given your stats and URM status. You are correct regarding not leaving Texas...it almost never makes sense to do so.

Also, saying you're in the top 99% on an exam doesn't say much! I think you mean 99th percentile??!!

OP
T

Techmed07

10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Lookin' good. Just write a good PS and be humble during interviews. Nothing wrong with your school list, given your stats and URM status. You are correct regarding not leaving Texas...it almost never makes sense to do so.

Also, saying you're in the top 99% on an exam doesn't say much! I think you mean 99th percentile??!!

I am working on drafting my PS as we speak. I will put in considerable about of time into for sure. In regards to the exam, yes I meant 99th percentile. I am definitely a humble individual I do not come for much so if given the opportunity to learn about medicine at any the great schools on my lists I would be very grateful. Thanks for the comments

Jun 6, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I am working on drafting my PS as we speak. I will put in considerable about of time into for sure. In regards to the exam, yes I meant 99th percentile. I am definitely a humble individual I do not come for much so if given the opportunity to learn about medicine at any the great schools on my lists I would be very grateful. Thanks for the comments
Are you applying next year?

OP
T

Techmed07

10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
As far as SMDEP, did you feel it as rewarding experience?

Yes, I have done multiple internships and SMDEP is and will probably always be the best! I still keep in touch with one of the associate deans who has said that she would personally look over my personal statement before I apply to Columbia. You gain so much from SMDEP, especially when you go out of the state. You realize you are not the hot shot you thought you were. It was a humbling experience which I think every premed needs every once in a while. I still keep in touch with many peers I have a friend who has interviewed at most of the top twenty schools (including Columbia)...Another one who already has three acceptances. SMDEP is an experience that cannot be beat even if you don't end up becoming a physican or a dentist. For more infomation, search the pre-allopathic threads for, " The Last SMDEP thread EVER!" there is tons of information on applying and the experiences of some of your fellows SDNers who went to other sites. I hope this helps.