3.8/506/CO/ORM. WAMC- Need new school list and help deciding if I should apply this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedfoodie

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just got my MCAT score back today and I need some help deciding if I should apply this cycle with my current stats or wait until next year and apply with an MCAT retake. If I decide to apply this cycle, I need help making my school list!

-3.8 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA
-MCAT: 506 (123/130/126/127). I’m devastated because this was 6 points below my FL average.
-State of residence: Colorado
-ORM
-first-gen, non-traditional
-Undergraduate: Large state school
-Clinical Experience:
~100 hours volunteering in L&D
~750 hours of clinical exposure within my research experience (idk if this counts)
Just went to orientation to resume volunteering at a Children’s hospital (can probably expect ~200 more hours within the next year)

-Research:
-2000 hours over 3 years of translational/clinical research in vascular physiology. 2 mid author publications, 1 first author honors thesis “published” in the undergraduate thesis journal, 2 first-author poster presentations at international conferences, a few awards.
-400 hours summer research fellowship through the American Physiological Society
-Undergraduate STEM scholar research award through university.

-Shadowing: 40 hours total, 35 in pediatric oncology and 5 in family medicine. The family med doctor is awesome and agreed to let me shadow as much as I want, so I’m expecting to get at least 20 more hours with him.

-Non-clinical volunteering:
-600 hours teaching low SES fourth graders about nutrition, gardening, and making healthy snacks.
-450 hours of volunteer tutoring in the physiology department

-Leadership: President of the transfer student honor society (120 hours)
-Other EC’s/work experience: immunology TA for a year (100 hours). I was also a bartender ~30 hrs a week throughout the entirety of undergrad (6000+ hours lol)

Here is my original list, but it obviously needs some adjustment with the lower than expected MCAT.
Northwestern
University of Chicago
UCSF
Stanford
Mayo
USC
Kaiser
UCLA
Duke
Ohio State
Rush
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
University of Colorado
University of Utah
University of Washington Seattle
Drexel
Emory
Albert Einstein
University of Pittsburgh
Tulane
University of Arizona
Medical College of Wisconsin
Saint Louis University

Members don't see this ad.

The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have ~50% to ~60% chance for a MD acceptance. Most of the schools on your list are unrealistic with a MCAT of 506. I suggest these schools if you decide to apply this month:
Colorado
TCU-UNT
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
AZCOM
TUNCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
ACOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
Touro-NY
NYITCOM (both schools)

Reactions: 1 user
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have ~50% to ~60% chance for a MD acceptance. Most of the schools on your list are unrealistic with a MCAT of 506. I suggest these schools if you decide to apply this month:
Colorado
TCU-UNT
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
AZCOM
TUNCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
ACOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
Touro-NY
NYITCOM (both schools)
Thank you! I’m going to adjust my list to be closer to yours :)