3.8/517 School List Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purpleguys99999

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am applying this cycle and this is my updated school list after a round of recommended edits. I had too many low yields and low tier schools before and so I have tried to fix that but now I'm concerned this list might be too top heavy. Please tell me what you think! Thank you! Also @Goro I know you have been a great asset to applicants in my position in the past so I would appreciate any feedback you have.
  • Year in school: Jr
  • Country/state of residence: MA
  • Schools to which you are applying: Duke, Penn, Columbia, Umich, Pitt, Sinai, Case, Emory, Keck, Dartmouth, Einstein, Hofstra, Ohio, UMASS, Tufts, Quinnipiac, BU, Vermont, Cincinnati, East Virginia
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.8
  • Science GPA: 3.7
  • MCAT Scores: 517
  • Research – include any abstracts/posters/publications and how you were credited (eg. First author, senior author, etc):
    • Developmental Psych Research -
      • Two labs, one first author poster presented at Stanford w/ presentation award, 700+ hours, mostly worked with kids 3-8
    • Suicide Prevention Research (Public Health)
      • Part of a research team responsible for implementing and measuring the success of suicide prevention interventions at high schools and air force bases. Two different interventions because the groups have different needs. 200 hours.
  • Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites:
    • Volunteer EMT
      • Volunteer EMT on campus as well as in the city, lots of hours I'd estimate 1000+ hours (3 shifts of 12 hours each per month for 3 years)
    • Hospital Volunteer
      • The classic, just transporting patients around, making sure they get seen by a doctor or nurse if they request it, bringing the food. 150 hours.
  • Non-clinical volunteering:
    • STEM promotion at local schools (150 hours)
      • we go to local public schools (middle schools and high schools), generally lower SES, and do science experiments or talk about different STEM jobs to get them interested in finishing high school and pursuing higher education.
    • Volunteering through my schools english department to help individuals with cerebral palsy and/or autism write stories, poems, memoirs, etc. that are published in an anthology at the end of the program. (100 hours)
  • Extracurricular activities:
    • run fast (running club)
    • play league (esports club)
    • cultural stuff
  • Employment history:
    • Teaching Assistant - 3 semesters, 2 for organic chem 1 for general chem lab
    • Tutoring - tutored for 2 semesters, bio and chem. not a volunteer position bc i got paid by uni but it was free for the students who requested it.
    • Program Health Assistant - Spent two summers working at a music program as the health assistant. Pretty much helped anybody who had their medical issues become a problem during the program by either dealing with it if its within the scope of my EMT licence or setting up an appt. with the appropriate physician. Full time so easily a few hundred hours into this.
    • RA
  • Please include time span and weekly commitment for volunteering/research/shadowing/extracurriculars.:
    • hours are included above.
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): N
  • Specialty of interest: idk
  • Shadowing experience: primary care, neurology, pathology. Like 80ish hours total.
  • Graduate degrees: N
  • Interest in rural health (y/n): Potentially, considering getting an MPH and that might lead me down that route.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Duke, Penn, Columbia, Umich, Pitt, Sinai, Case, Emory, Keck, Dartmouth, Einstein, Hofstra, Ohio, UMASS, Tufts, Quinnipiac, BU, Vermont, Cincinnati,
ADD
Rochester
Miami
SLU
Jefferson
TULANE
WESTERN MI
Columbia
U Va
Mayo
UCSF

Reactions: 1 user
Duke, Penn, Columbia, Umich, Pitt, Sinai, Case, Emory, Keck, Dartmouth, Einstein, Hofstra, Ohio, UMASS, Tufts, Quinnipiac, BU, Vermont, Cincinnati,
ADD
Rochester
Miami
SLU
Jefferson
TULANE
WESTERN MI
Columbia
U Va
Mayo
UCSF

Thank you!